Writing Mains 2019?
This weekend we will be writing Mains 2019. Here are a list of things to keep in mind. Click here to read.
Download Factly Android App |   Click Here →

How do I fight lack of enthusiasm in Mains Answer Writing in Mock and actual Mains?

Topic created · 13 Posts · 1047 Views
  • Hi Neyawn,
    This message is a cry for help on something I recently identified as a problem in my answer-writing.
    So I was in a class yesterday and was quite unhappy when the teacher sprang that surprise test on us.
    I initially thought it was just the usual inertia which holds us from starting to write. But very quickly I realized it was something far worse.

I realized that while I was very excited to write the initial few questions, as I progressed I got bored of attempting the next questions.
    So much so that it was huge effort to be even able to think, let alone ponder over which argument is better or how to proceed next. As the paper progressed, the discomfort I felt was so high that all I wanted was to finish it and get out of the hall.
    Not quite unlike when someone’s pants are literally on fire.

I used to think that this is just because maybe this paper, just like the mocks I had written earlier don’t really matter.
    Or that this is happening because maybe the time limit on each question makes us numb and dulls our thinking as we progress.
    All will be fine on the D-day.

However, while writing the test yesterday, it stuck me that this is the exact feeling I was having while writing my actual mains paper. Imagine that.
    Having the your attempt literally in your hands and still wishing it to be just over with. I now recall my optional paper where I knew everything asked and I had even planned what I’ll write. And write I did, while having this exact wretched feeling.
    I have been trying to know the reason behind this feeling but I just cant. Its not that I don’t like writing. Wherever free flow of ideas is required I can come up with quite a lot. This mail suffices as a good example. Its just the answer writing that is bugging me.

Fear can be smelled from miles away they say; it is truer still for writing and conviction. More so in a paper like Ethics or optional like mine, PSIR. And this is not just a fatigue that is cropping up after multiple mains. This was actually my first.

So I’m pretty sure that the bridge between my marks and the topper’s necessarily has to cross over this gorge. Anything you can help with would be great...

And sorry if this long read took too much of your time.

Warm Regards,
    Prabhav

• @prabhav-s1752

This is generally because of few reasons in my opinion

( Below are not reasons per se, but they co-exist even if they dont cause it )

• You have written too many answers on free answer writing websites
    • You have not prepared in a structured way and prepared for the Mains exam by solving random questions ( and not topic wise ) . This happens when you dont prepare for Mains in your first attempt and accidentally clear Prelims and then begin Mains preparation
    • You know something and are not augmenting your content by any further reading.You probably have one line answers for any questions under the sun, and repeat the same thing.

You can try a few things such as

• Not writing random answers on the Internet . Rather if you want to do daily answer writing practice form a small group and not just write answers, but compare answers.
      *If you have lost genuine interest in answer writing, try unfollowing all the rules - and stick to one rule - answer the question directly , no introduction, no conclusion.
      *Reduce the number of decisions that you have taken in answer writing or ( on a day day basis as well ) So some of your content has to be pre-built .
      *I still remember @leomessi10 ( Anudeep D who secured Rank 1 last year ) what worked for him in the actual exam , he said I followed the definition approach . I asked him how did that help ( beyond improving the quality of content , and its relevance ), he said I now had to not stress on my mind as to how to introduce or write the first line.
    • You need not write 5000 questions, if you are in higher attempt level, start to have discussion on questions with the attitude "what is the next point". I mean do not bask on a single point.
    • Slowly you should be getting more interested in answering questions, then, writing answers, and this should help.

This is my opinion. Others can pitch in with some more insights.

• On the day of writing test , I become so restless, start aimlessly strolling from one place to another . My mom would be like , what has happened to you . It simply is so difficult to get near that table chair and start writing ✍

• @GrimReaper13 i would suggest make a group of 3/4 sincere and creative candidates. Make comprehensive plan for a group to write test and have discussion.

Some people gets charged up when there is an audience. Appreciation and enjoyment of showing your skill to others gives so much joy. And that enthusiasm can lift the spirit. Just like in gladiatior maximus was at his best when people were shouting his name. Suppose you will write a test paper of ethics in a group of 4. When you will discuss and compare answers , some of your answers will be better than others. Someone will surely appreciate your way of thinking and presentation. At that time you will feel so good that your subconscious mind may start thinking that next time you will be even better. You need to have that feeling of doing better in every successive papers.

Pteparation of GS(except ethics) and non humanity optional + efforts to have a routine + isolation + self control makes our mind to develop a bubble which is deprived of some essential elements of joy and happiness. We have to make our strategy according to our needs.

Seeds of talent thrives in rain of happiness. ATB.

• @Neyawn said in How do I fight lack of enthusiasm in Mains Answer Writing in Mock and actual Mains?:

@prabhav-s1752

This is generally because of few reasons in my opinion

( Below are not reasons per se, but they co-exist even if they dont cause it )

• You have written too many answers on free answer writing websites
    • You have not prepared in a structured way and prepared for the Mains exam by solving random questions ( and not topic wise ) . This happens when you dont prepare for Mains in your first attempt and accidentally clear Prelims and then begin Mains preparation
    • You know something and are not augmenting your content by any further reading.You probably have one line answers for any questions under the sun, and repeat the same thing.

You can try a few things such as

• Not writing random answers on the Internet . Rather if you want to do daily answer writing practice form a small group and not just write answers, but compare answers.
      *If you have lost genuine interest in answer writing, try unfollowing all the rules - and stick to one rule - answer the question directly , no introduction, no conclusion.
      *Reduce the number of decisions that you have taken in answer writing or ( on a day day basis as well ) So some of your content has to be pre-built .
      *I still remember @leomessi10 ( Anudeep D who secured Rank 1 last year ) what worked for him in the actual exam , he said I followed the definition approach . I asked him how did that help ( beyond improving the quality of content , and its relevance ), he said I now had to not stress on my mind as to how to introduce or write the first line.
    • You need not write 5000 questions, if you are in higher attempt level, start to have discussion on questions with the attitude "what is the next point". I mean do not bask on a single point.
    • Slowly you should be getting more interested in answering questions, then, writing answers, and this should help.

This is my opinion. Others can pitch in with some more insights.

Very well explained..

• There is a difference between writing an answer and answering a question.
    • Reduce the no. Of decisions.👍
  • @imperfect_sereni
    Thank you ma’am/ sir for writing such a wonderful reply
    I discussed this issue with my friend ...
    now he keeps a check on me about me writing papers on time .. accountability pushes me to finish doing things m otherwise uncomfortable with ☺

• accountability is key , that's why I personally feel that when we spend thousands on test series we tend to preform better as compared to when doing tests from xerox

• I have also been facing similar lack of enthusiasm , and I think @imperfect_serenity has given quite the closest I feel . Maybe that's also the reason why I joined this forum , but I still have been pretty much alone and unable to find any good study partners who can evaluate or discuss or compete. (PS I don't go to any classes, study at home and none of my frnds are into UPSC or allied exams - if anyone reading this post wishes to get in touch or help out , kindly dm))

• @tradervk96662 said in How do I fight lack of enthusiasm in Mains Answer Writing in Mock and actual Mains?:

I have also been facing similar lack of enthusiasm , and I think @imperfect_serenity has given quite the closest I feel . Maybe that's also the reason why I joined this forum , but I still have been pretty much alone and unable to find any good study partners who can evaluate or discuss or compete. (PS I don't go to any classes, study at home and none of my frnds are into UPSC or allied exams - if anyone reading this post wishes to get in touch or help out , kindly dm))

If you are located in any of the study hubs, you should be able to find some people preparing together. In case you do not find someone, I would strongly recommend joining some classes . Any classes will do. Just have a schedule , get out of bed and have something being fed into your mind at a regular basis.

See, you have to factor in the fact that you will usually attract the people who have similar success levels as you when you are seeking a peer group ( unless you are very attractive as a person, or have a degree from a reputed institute, or you are popular as a contributor on platfroms like forumas - bakar threads dont count ). So if you have not seen reasonable success , you may not be able to attract a good peer group.

In case you do not, do not sit over a problem and let it kill you. Solve it midway, so that you are free to solve another problem.

Also, remember in life, you wont get things on a platter. Noone does. You will have to drive the change you want to see.

• @Neyawn thank you for your reply , I stay in Mumbai, and I value your suggestion however classes aren't an option for me at the moment. I think I will try to spend the wasted or boredom time in revising earlier wrong answers of Vision tests. I hope it will help

• @tradervk96662 said in How do I fight lack of enthusiasm in Mains Answer Writing in Mock and actual Mains?:

@Neyawn thank you for your reply , I stay in Mumbai, and I value your suggestion however classes aren't an option for me at the moment. I think I will try to spend the wasted or boredom time in revising earlier wrong answers of Vision tests. I hope it will help

You can also try to have some Whatsapp or Forum friends . Sync what you will study / write tests on a daily basis and do comparisons . Helps keep motivation.

Are you a working candidate ?

• @Neyawn said in How do I fight lack of enthusiasm in Mains Answer Writing in Mock and actual Mains?:

@tradervk96662 said in How do I fight lack of enthusiasm in Mains Answer Writing in Mock and actual Mains?:

I have also been facing similar lack of enthusiasm , and I think @imperfect_serenity has given quite the closest I feel . Maybe that's also the reason why I joined this forum , but I still have been pretty much alone and unable to find any good study partners who can evaluate or discuss or compete. (PS I don't go to any classes, study at home and none of my frnds are into UPSC or allied exams - if anyone reading this post wishes to get in touch or help out , kindly dm))

If you are located in any of the study hubs, you should be able to find some people preparing together. In case you do not find someone, I would strongly recommend joining some classes . Any classes will do. Just have a schedule , get out of bed and have something being fed into your mind at a regular basis.

See, you have to factor in the fact that you will usually attract the people who have similar success levels as you when you are seeking a peer group ( unless you are very attractive as a person, or have a degree from a reputed institute, or you are popular as a contributor on platfroms like forumas - bakar threads dont count ). So if you have not seen reasonable success , you may not be able to attract a good peer group.

In case you do not, do not sit over a problem and let it kill you. Solve it midway, so that you are free to solve another problem.

Also, remember in life, you wont get things on a platter. Noone does. You will have to drive the change you want to see.

Thank you for writing this post....
    I will start doing these things in few days.

• @root yes I put up a thread and got some response on forum, I hope this bodes well now.
    I was working , left the job for preparation. (That's why I can't be more selfish and ask money for classes )