All good things must come to an end.
We are moving away from quest to a new version of ForumIAS ( Beta ) at http://beta.forumias.com
You can no longer create new posts or comments. You will be able to access private messages. Topics and comments have already moved to beta.forumias.com , you can find respective link at the bottom of every topic. Requests you , do not create same topics again in beta.
INTERVIEW FOR CSE 2019
All ForumIAS members selected for CSE 2019 Personality Test must submit their details and DAF and register below to receive further instructions and guidance from ForumIAS. Click here to register now
ForumIAS Official Telegram Channel Click to Join

Post mains results, what would be your strategy?

Topic created ยท 274 Posts ยท 13396 Views
  • I have seen people with a bit of limited knowledge getting in and some amazing, really hardworking people missing out on the interview call. What did you learn? What would you advise others?

• @walterwhit3

My assessment

Low scoring GS like 2013.

Anthropology optional butchered.

Essay also low scoring.

So I guess its like 2013 marking.

• @Dreadful said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

Why the specifics about anthro?

• @walterwhit3 didn't clear with Geography Optional for the third time . Mains is the biggest roadblock for me. Need to improve both in GS and option it seems. Especially in GS. Can someone help how to shoot up GS marks above 440?? I know through answer writing. But please suggest a way through

• This post is deleted!
  • @tmblnd1325194 this is exactly why I created this thread. Hoping sooner or later someone would share their experiences in detail.

• From my experience this time,write standard average answers,divide your answers, as much as possible into different dimensions,use headers and write point wise!
    And my personal tip-many disagree with it-always always complete the paper.

• @ManchesterUnited A question which I keep stumbling upon isbtill what time one sould go on to focus on mains? March end? If one is scoring 95-100 in test series?

• @Dreadful said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

@walterwhit3

My assessment

Low scoring GS like 2013.

Anthropology optional butchered.

Essay also low scoring.

So I guess its like 2013 marking.

2 in my group of 4 had anthro- both cleared. one has first mains in 3 attempts, shifted to anthro from geo. second has cleared mains twice in 3 attempts. first attempt failed in mains with philosophy shifted to anthro.

i had psir wasnt even expecting to clear pre. 3rd attempt. 2nd mains. knew i wouldnt make it. psir prep in shambles.

4th friend quit his job in feb last year. began prep from scratch. gave first attempt with math. cleared. he had the least scores in mocks of gs. didnt even study anything for gs4! second essay he says he screwed up. i believe him knowing his below average hold on social/philosophical issues. so your point of low scores in gs and essay compared to optional might actually be true.

what i deduce:

1.marking is becoming more objective. luck factor has reduced considerably. standard answers are being preferred over 'innovative/out of the box' answers.
    2.having readymade masala for each topic isnt an 'edge' like earlier times, but a necessity to even get into the list.
    3.optional has become the number 1 factor in mains for differentiation. it was critical earlier as well but marks got balanced by essay and gs. science/math/engineering optionals continue to give exceptional scores.

• @ManchesterUnited I second you bhai. I tried to focus on quality and so, couldn't complete around 50 marks in GS. It showed in the result.

• @ManchesterUnited i completed each and every paper(only ques left was fed supremacy in gs2 )
    optional went well(imo), used exact same language of books
    nothing innovative in ans, focussed on completion, plus had basic fodder for everything mentioned in the syllabus. prepared through answer writing
    still failed..and now I feel so clueless
    ANd best of luck for your interview ๐Ÿ™‚

• psir 3rd attempt out. expected.

my assessment of my failure-

1.delayed prep for mains because wasnt expecting to clear pre. was getting 98-102 by various keys. started looking for other exams. when result came, i was depressed and excited at the same time.
    in panic i started overloading myself with tests series and current affairs material. only doing them without proper analysis of feedback or course correction.

2.didnt revise basics. yes. revising basic books atleast once before mains is CRUCIAL. we usually write things from them only no matter what other things we may have read.

3.didnt make short notes or notes of anything. lethargic and short on time. revision left in shambles.

what i am planning to do for PRE-

1.solve ONLY vision test series from freeupsc.org- make short notes and revise multiple times. Last time wasted energy in doing multiple test series. no real benefit. especially insights series is a waste of time for repeaters. but their revision module is very good.
    2.i have been regular with hindu, so will rely on pt365 for revision of current affairs. atleast 2 revisions.
    3.basics revision 3 times before pre THOROUGHLY. Last time focussed on more revisions but at the cost of quality. was only skimming and retaining info. pre is analytical not merely info based.
    4.solve insight revision tests just to stay on track. wont revise them. prefer it over baba60 because it pushes you to the limits. plus it extends till 1 week before exam while baba ends 1 month before. helpful for those like me who cant focus as exam approaches closer. tight schedule will increase focus.

finally will try to be more honest in self assessment.

• @AzadHindFauz said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

@ManchesterUnited I second you bhai. I tried to focus on quality and so, couldn't complete around 50 marks in GS. It showed in the result.

I completed papers decently well.. Have missed 2017, 2018 Cutoffs by single digit. This time wrote many tests, flowcharts, diagrams, headers, pointers.. 3 Hours time period ke hisaab se accustomed myself.

Except GS-1 and Socio Paper,-2 all went well according to my expectations. But made a point to write decent stuff and complete paper even in these two papers.

But still out ! Now again clueless.. Feeling as if preparing from scratch again..

• @ST the desperation to see one's marks is real after not clearing it, and being clueless after results.

• @AzadHindFauz Mains is very subjective bro!
    You might have written the exact same answers as me or even better content but you might have forgot to underline something or anything of that sort.

• @ManchesterUnited Did you draw many diagrams, flow charts in GS 1234?
    I recall I did it only for geography questions! I think that I should brainstorm more to make my answers look attractive with flow charts and diagram.

@ManchesterUnited Did you draw many diagrams, flow charts in GS 1234?
    I recall I did it only for geography questions! I think that I should brainstorm more to make my answers look attractive with flow charts and diagram.

If diagram and flowcharts is a criteria to clear, then i made them and still didn't make it. ๐Ÿ˜ฃ

@ManchesterUnited Did you draw many diagrams, flow charts in GS 1234?

bhai dont fall into the trap of mis-diagnosis. these are superficial concerns. if you have decent writing speed and can form coherent sentences with good flow, and most importantly have content to sufficiently address what is asked, IT DOESNT MATTER how many flowcharts you put up. But if you write slow, then it is MUST for you to write in points and flowcharts.
    for reference, see rank 5 and rank 12 2017 answer copies.

• Last attempt for me.. Anyone based in ORN and on final attempt willing to collaborate.. Preferably Socio optional.

• @Lam4 Then, what should be done bhai? In my head, I thought I wrote good answers. But, left some questions and that I think I have to work upon.
    What else do you suggest to boost GS marks?

• Of the limited experience i have with the exam and from the multiple people i have spoken to who have made, optional is what stands out.
    One can manage to score average above average with decent content and completion of paper.
    Most of us who were confident with GS, in my opinion, would have faltered in optional.
    The only difference GS papers can make is a) if you have screwed them up really bad b) if you are really good in any of them (GS4 may be)

• My optional is mathematics and i am legit having second thoughts about it.

• @Omen said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

Of the limited experience i have with the exam and from the multiple people i have spoken to who have made, optional is what stands out.
    One can manage to score average above average with decent content and completion of paper.
    Most of us who were confident with GS, in my opinion, would have faltered in optional.
    The only difference GS papers can make is a) if you have screwed them up really bad b) if you are really good in any of them (GS4 may be)

I agree.. Optional 300+ has become a necessity..!!

@Lam4 Then, what should be done bhai? In my head, I thought I wrote good answers. But, left some questions and that I think I have to work upon.
    What else do you suggest to boost GS marks?

im in the same boat as you. only difference is that ive been on it longer. i scored average in my first attempt in gs. but i know(atleast think i know :)) what clicked and what didnt.
    my only advise- 1.dont complicate your prep by looking at others success. what works for them might not for you 2.play to your strength. for that you must know what your strength is. i know it is cliche, in practical terms, read through multiple toppers copies and find ones suitable to your style of thinking or writing. do not imitate. learn. 3.revise and practice- the golden mantra we all know but rarely follow. the year in which you do it dilligently is the year when you find your name in the holy pdf. atleast thats what i believe. 4.once you have content diligently prepared as notes, revised and internalised and practiced, think of putting info inleast words possible, to the point. and more points means more marks. hence point 3 has to be a serious exercies.

• @Lam4 Thanks bhai. Will brainstorm about these and then make a suitable plan!

• Now will be preparing for optional and prelims.
    GS is not a big issue after giving one mains, as we need to update same material with current affairs and answer writing for 3 months. Above that now I dont believe GS is the deciding factor as we all have almost same answers with little variation. Optional is the key, the essay remains hit or miss

• @ST @Lam4 @AzadHindFauz
    How did the optional go for all you ?
    And what are your thoughts regarding some optionals being small while some being lengthy(in terms of syllabus) ?

• @ST said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

@Omen said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

Of the limited experience i have with the exam and from the multiple people i have spoken to who have made, optional is what stands out.

ppl with science optional k liye this is merely an above average score. they aim for 350 based on last years marking. social science walon ka average jab 260-270 h to wo 300 bhi kaise laayen is the real challenge.

• @Lam4 said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

@ST said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

ppl with science optional k liye this is merely an above average score. they aim for 350 based on last years marking. social science walon ka average jab 260-270 h to wo 300 bhi kaise laayen is the real challenge.

bhai science wallon ke liye bhi 300 touch karna in the first place kafi mushkil task he. no doubt it is achievable, jo ke of the limited knowledge i have of humanities, may be not possible.
    but 300 in science optional is not a cake walk

• prelims still remains the big issue. How to prepare for it. Even after clearing it, I dont have any idea about a foolproof strategy of prelims.

• @Omen I couldn't do much of answer writing. My focus was on completion of the syllabus and revision because this was my first attempt. I had internalized much of the content. What I think went wrong was the quality of answers now that I know I am out. But, I was thinking that I had written decent answers. Although I left 30 marks in optional. I should have completed the paper!

As for PSIR, I think it appears huge from the outside. It's not so huge because the concepts are overlapping and interconnected. This is my assessment. However, the challenging aspect is the dynamism in paper 2. But, I think it's manageable. PSIR gives average marks too. It's rarely butchered like other humanities optionals.

• @Omen this was my 3rd attempt with psir. i still havent completed the theroy (section a of both papers) to a level where i feel confident. that should tell you about 'lengthy' . but there are others who do 'finish' it 'smartly' in couple of months as well. section b in both papers is very scoring. this year also paper was on similar trend of 2017-2018. but i screwed it up by writing rubbish(remotely related to topic, incoherent sentences) in over 200 marks worth of paper. depenence on section b proved fatal. in 2017 i had written rubbish for 100 marks worth and got 264 as total.

i feel psir is relatively forgiving and use of good language pulls up scores despite less content. for anthro i have only praises to sing as 2 of my friends have made it this year. and science optionals, if one can manage, are a godsent gift to science/engineering students to streamroll the competition. 1 friend who left job only in feb managed to clear mains primarily because of math. he is simply average/above average in all other papers.

• funny thing is the guy who made that fake pdf has his name in interview list.

@ST @Lam4 @AzadHindFauz
    And what are your thoughts regarding some optionals being small while some being lengthy(in terms of syllabus) ?

bhai mera paper-1 acha gaya tha.. paper-2 mujhe tough laga tha.. in the exam hall i decided ki paper complete karna hain decently.. then paper-2 baakiyon ko bhi tough laga tha..

• @AzadHindFauz plus get a job after max 2 serious attempts, else regret will eat your confidence.

• @John_Titor said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

funny thing is the guy who made that fake pdf has his name in interview list.

who was it btw?

@Omen this was my 3rd attempt with psir. i still havent completed the theroy (section a of both papers) to a level where i feel confident. that should tell you about 'lengthy' . but there are others who do 'finish' it 'smartly' in couple of months as well. section b in both papers is very scoring. this year also paper was on similar trend of 2017-2018. but i screwed it up by writing rubbish(remotely related to topic, incoherent sentences) in over 200 marks worth of paper. depenence on section b proved fatal. in 2017 i had written rubbish for 100 marks worth and got 264 as total.

i feel psir is relatively forgiving and use of good language pulls up scores despite less content. for anthro i have only praises to sing as 2 of my friends have made it this year. and science optionals, if one can manage, are a godsent gift to science/engineering students to streamroll the competition. 1 friend who left job only in feb managed to clear mains primarily because of math. he is simply average/above average in all other papers.

can you get me in touch with your maths optional wala friend
    would be really thankful

• @bevancom bhai kya raha aapka??

@Omen I couldn't do much of answer writing. My focus was on completion of the syllabus and revision because this was my first attempt. I had internalized much of the content. What I think went wrong was the quality of answers now that I know I am out. But, I was thinking that I had written decent answers. Although I left 30 marks in optional. I should have completed the paper!

As for PSIR, I think it appears huge from the outside. It's not so huge because the concepts are overlapping and interconnected. This is my assessment. However, the challenging aspect is the dynamism in paper 2. But, I think it's manageable. PSIR gives average marks too. It's rarely butchered like other humanities optionals.

Content could be a differentiating factor especially in optional.

@Lam4 said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

@Omen this was my 3rd attempt with psir. i still havent completed the theroy (section a of both papers) to a level where i feel confident. that should tell you about 'lengthy' . but there are others who do 'finish' it 'smartly' in couple of months as well. section b in both papers is very scoring. this year also paper was on similar trend of 2017-2018. but i screwed it up by writing rubbish(remotely related to topic, incoherent sentences) in over 200 marks worth of paper. depenence on section b proved fatal. in 2017 i had written rubbish for 100 marks worth and got 264 as total.

would be really thankful

ill ask and let you know

• @ST said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

@ST @Lam4 @AzadHindFauz

bhai mera paper-1 acha gaya tha.. paper-2 mujhe tough laga tha.. in the exam hall i decided ki paper complete karna hain decently.. then paper-2 baakiyon ko bhi tough laga tha..

bhai optional kya he apka ?

@Lam4 said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

would be really thankful

ill ask and let you know

thanks man

@ST said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

@ST @Lam4 @AzadHindFauz

bhai optional kya he apka ?

Sociology

• @Lam4 I think I have already committed a sin on that front. Gave SSC CGL in 2017 while working a private sector job. Had planned to prepare for CSE with a government job, but the process got delayed. The then job was suffocating and so, I quit and moved to Delhi. SSC CGL'17 result came last year when I was doing coaching at Vajiram. Got Auditor in CAG, but didn't join mainly because of coaching and I didn't want to screw my first attempt.

In the hindsight, I feel that I should've taken it. But, there's no point now.

@Lam4 I think I have already committed a sin on that front. Gave SSC CGL in 2017 while working a private sector job. Had planned to prepare for CSE with a government job, but the process got delayed. The then job was suffocating and so, I quit and moved to Delhi. SSC CGL'17 result came last year when I was doing coaching at Vajiram. Got Auditor in CAG, but didn't join mainly because of coaching and I didn't want to screw my first attempt.

In the hindsight, I feel that I should've taken it. But, there's no point now.

it was wise not to take up job in first attempt. many sacrifice good placements. i did too. job hunting can be done after 2 good attempts or when one feels the need(financial constraints, family issues etc.) going by your record it wouldnt be a problem for you to get one later. atb for future man! ๐Ÿ™‚

• @ST Bhai humara nahi hua.I was 100% confident of atleast clearing mains so it came as shock.My learnings:
    1)Optional must have been ok as questions came directly from 1500 page notes and quoted thinkers and examples in all answers(kabir singh movie,cds report,dove ka ad etc)
    2)Essay was decent.Jitne lagaye the usse +-10 aaya hoga.
    3)What killed me was gs.I have'nt done any answer writing for gs as my marks in gs were decent in 2017 with no writing.So believed it will work this time as well.But I think -10 in each gs paper due to lack of writing practise(but finished all papers) and not being able to revise books like spectrum between pre and mains and focusing too much on current affairs.-50 is the result combining all gs papers.
    4)Essay mein -10 raha hoga from what I expected.
    Overall -60 raha hoga.I expected +60 from cutoff(expected it close to 760).Between 750-760 aaya hoga agar cutoff 760 hoga.
    I m not intended on giving the exam again but let's see.
    The mantra if I give again is to do lot of answer writing between pre and mains(already has notes of current from 2016 mugged) and revise basic books between pre and mains.
    Par kya pata ans. writing se hoga kya.Underline ki thi answers mein,points mein saare likhe the,paper complete kiye the but no flowcharts and diagrams.

Lagta hai 1500 page ke notes waste ho gaye.Pura ignou ka ba aur ma padha tha.
    @hermione granger ka hua kya?She gave interview last time.
    Prashant mishra ka bhi nahi hua(he is currently in railway service)

• @AzadHindFauz I got excise inspector from ssc 2015.Did'nt join it.Now regret it..

• @bevancom
    bhai tum crazy ho yaar.
    how can you gauge marks in such a subjective exam.

• yo yo ka bhi shayad nahi hua..Yeh sab dekh ke even if i give again I will be joining job and then giving(but not sure seeing stalwarts falling like this)

• @bevancom said in Post mains results, what would be your strategy?:

yo yo ka bhi shayad nahi hua..Yeh sab dekh ke even if i give again I will be joining job and then giving(but not sure seeing stalwarts falling like this)

Yo Yo ne prelims he nahi diya tha ๐Ÿ˜•