Does note-making play an important role in revision?

Topic created · 17 Posts · 857 Views
  • it is true that the effectivity of making concise notes depends from individual perspectives.
    still to make or not to make - that is the question.
    it makes me anxious if i skip. but the major chunk of time being consumed in the process is also doing the same.
    in this context, can senior members please direct me if i should skip it or do make notes selectively (for current affairs & optional only)?
    and if skipping is recommended - what will be preferable revision strategy? spaced repetition or all together at the end of a period?
    it feels good & satisfying to make rigorous yet short notes after studying a topic. it also feels that note making aids for better consolidation of the material - but i am confused if these are false satisfaction & if spending valuable hours in this process can be avoided by a smarter approach.
    please help.

• I didn't make notes in my first attempt! It was a bad decision! Screwed prep as I couldn't organize before an exam! All hosh-posh!
    I made physical notes in the second attempt! again screwed coz I didn't make syllabus wise so didn't organize well!
    I made notes this time in G-docs! syllabus wise! I am feeling prepared!
    It all your choice!

• @Urvashi thanks.
    for the third time, did you make notes from the scratch or renovated the second one? asking to get the idea about time scale.

• It will not take much time when you go syllabus wise! I prepared them in two months and kept consolidating!
    Open G-doc
    Write syllabus in list way
    and get started...
    6th class ki book se jo smjh aye, syllabus me jahan fit ho.. likho
    this way whatevr material you are considering, jo smjh aye, if that fit in syllabus (PRE+mains) likho
    and index can be automatically created and updated..
    Much better than Evernote or onenote !

And yeah I made it from scratch!

• @Urvashi thanks a ton.

• @GechhoDada online note making is a good choice. (Evernote / google docs) time kam lagta hai. note making kitna important hai ye app ko exam se pahele pata chalega(easy revision). mains ki topic wise note prepare kijiye. But mein hard copy pasand karti hun.☺

1. Can someone give some examples of how they take notes because I face difficulty in selecting the relevant information.

2. Moreover, how do you guys deal with the basic books like Laxmikant, Spectrum etc. Notemaking for these ends up becoming another book in itself.

3. Lastly, how do people plan to revise their notes? I find it very difficult to plan on how to cover the syllabus and revise. Note making does feel very time consuming but then I keep forgetting stuff and it becomes a vicious circle.

• @Monkey-D-Luffy

• Laxmikanth and spectrum itself a note( so time barbaad karke firse iske note maat banao). underline, write down important points are few methods jo mein follow karti hun.
    • i prefer weekly targets. app jisme comfortable ho woh karo.☺ 👍
  • @LazyNeutron is right about laxmi and spectrum..! But mujhe polity ke notes mains ke liye bnane padhe.. pre ke liye nahi... As I included current + static in it
    and history ke maine chronology notes bnaye hai.. maine internet pe dhundha but kuch khas nahi mila!! So I made them!

• @GechhoDada said in note making & hesitations around it:

it is true that the effectivity of making concise notes depends from individual perspectives.
    still to make or not to make - that is the question.
    it makes me anxious if i skip. but the major chunk of time being consumed in the process is also doing the same.
    in this context, can senior members please direct me if i should skip it or do make notes selectively (for current affairs & optional only)?
    and if skipping is recommended - what will be preferable revision strategy? spaced repetition or all together at the end of a period?
    it feels good & satisfying to make rigorous yet short notes after studying a topic. it also feels that note making aids for better consolidation of the material - but i am confused if these are false satisfaction & if spending valuable hours in this process can be avoided by a smarter approach.
    please help.

(1) For mains make topic wise notes of each and every point of GS syllabus. Like 250-300 words note on each topic and sub topics.
    (2) For pre make ready reference short notes of each subject like for polity make a table wise notes for fundamental rights their exceptions etc. Similarly for other subjects like history, economy, environment etc. These notes should be ultra short and aim of making them should be quick revision during last month of pre. If you want to see sample of such ultra short notes then search Ghanshyam Thori notes. Insights have shared his notes.
    (3) As far as optional is considered then I think notes making is indispensable. Optional notes are immensely helpful for revision during mains.

• @Dead-Man @LazyNeutron @Urvashi thank you all for your inputs.
    i have made a sample note - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xUifPFcxoFYKs3taWLAHah1vmKrwGanWFklxkG582e8/edit?usp=sharing

• this is of spectrum's modern india - as this particular book is more time consuming to make notes than other subjects/materials.

• the chapter i've chosen is - Socio-Religious Movements & the topic is Reforms related to women's upliftment, as there can be ample questions from both prelims & mains perspective.

can you please have a look & suggest me some edits?

It took 100 minutes to go through the original text & to make the note.

• @GechhoDada very good ... you are on path of success but you have to keep going! I will send link of mine as well !!

• @Urvashi thanks a ton, again.
    it will be helpful, indeed.

• @GechhoDada I can send you link in chat... but I think your setting not allowing me send you message.. you can see above chat button .. there I am entering your username but could not find you

• @Urvashi gs k liye alag se topic wise note hote hai current + static. @Dead-Man sahi kaha app ne.@GechhoDada make concise notes (only keywords). Thanks everyone @Urvashi @Dead-Man @Monkey-D-Luffy @GechhoDada ☺

• Here are my 2 cents on the subject (try it out and see if it works for you)

Note making (lets talk about only pre for now)

Objective
    It should be pretty clear in your head that why notes are being made.

1. For revision purpose especially when you will be cramped for time when prelims approaches

2. For locating stuff and recall value - when we have a doubt or confusion we already know where we can trace it to + when you
      'personalise' info it brings recall value

3. For info enrichment - when solving tests or coverig current affairs there will always be new information that you will come across. If you have made notes, you can enrich them with this info (thus also enhancing recall value)

The strategy
    First and the most important question is the 'what' i.e for what areas you have to make notes for. For best targeted efforts you NEED to understand UPSC pattern and their ask (PYQ's and SYLLABUS). Now Lets divide it into pillars of preparation

STATIC PORTION
    Ncerts - For base setting ncerts you need not make any notes. Though underlining important concepts or definitions for subjects like polity might help clear concepts.

Standard books - See now smart work along with personal strengths and weaknesses would come into play. Here is what I did

Modern history - I was quite poor at it. After narrowing my source to spectrum. I made targeted notes of the entire book. Now whenever I solve a test i keep enriching and revising those.

Geography I would suggest make quick notes of 6-10 so that you dont have to pick them up again. For 11&12 make detailed notes along with conceptual explanations from youtube.

Polity - No point. Smart work would be to make notes on the margins of the pages. Golden rule - exceptions

Environment - Same as polity

Additional info - DO NOT make notes in your first reading or without understanding the relevance of info at hand. ALWAYS make notes with a pencil (for addition and subtraction purposes)

Pillar no. 2 - CURRENT AFFAIRS

Depending on how you cover you cover it, there are 3 dimensions

Newspaper- For pre specifically, there is no point in making notes (unless you spend a considerable term me googling the issue or info) as there would be many aspects that you will miss. But DO READ it daily so that you know what issues are hot

Monthly compilation - The most important source. Do make notes out of it but then again only on the margins or blank spaces. See you wont be able to identify the important pieces of information that you need to study initially and that shall only set in after you have given a good number of mocks. So avoid making any lengthy notes from it rather your first reading should be like getting introduced with the topic. And then when you visit the compilation again you would have a better analytical approach

Online websites - Avoid, reason being the primary source is insights and acc. to me 1/3 info it gives is irrelevant (although it has considerably improved)

Pillar no. 3 - TEST SERIES
    Very important to make notes out of it. But again on the margins and only for that info. that has not been covered by pillar no. 1&2. Test series would set the tone for notes making out of your static and current. It should also be used to enrich notes.

Well this is broadly and deeply what I have followed since last 6 months after calibration.

Hope that helps
    MOKU

• @moku thank you for your input. it sounds comprehensive.