Whether to skip the attempt, Interview appeared

Topic created · 7 Posts · 612 Views
  • Hi friends..
    Firstly congratulations to all who made it in final list.

I appeared for interview this year. My first interview and second attempt and unfortunately couldn't make it into final list
    I resigned in 2016 Sept , to pursue upsc after working for 2 years , missed mains cut off by 60 odd marks in 2017 . I felt I've given my all for 2018 attempt.

Problem is, I didn't read much apart for interview from past 6 months, wasted lot of time and energy in sorting few personal issues. I feel that I'm completely out of touch, very low on confidence. That enthusiasm and energy which drove me for 2 years were not there and there is feeling of exhaustion. I'm preparing alone from home now. I tried starting , but even laxmikant seems irritating now😂.

I'm in a dilemma, whether to go for 2019 with this mindset or take a break, get a job, get back some confidence, freshness and energy and give a best shot in 2020.

At times I feel persistence is key to success while other times I feel that it's futile to fight a losing battle, but save my efforts to fight another day.

This forum has many experienced aspirants and any constructive suggestions are welcome

Thanks. 🙂

• @Valar_morghulis said in Whether to skip the attempt, Interview appeared:

Hi friends..
    Firstly congratulations to all who made it in final list.

I appeared for interview this year. My first interview and second attempt and unfortunately couldn't make it into final list
    I resigned in 2016 Sept , to pursue upsc after working for 2 years , missed mains cut off by 60 odd marks in 2017 . I felt I've given my all for 2018 attempt.

Problem is, I didn't read much apart for interview from past 6 months, wasted lot of time and energy in sorting few personal issues. I feel that I'm completely out of touch, very low on confidence. That enthusiasm and energy which drove me for 2 years were not there and there is feeling of exhaustion. I'm preparing alone from home now. I tried starting , but even laxmikant seems irritating now😂.

I'm in a dilemma, whether to go for 2019 with this mindset or take a break, get a job, get back some confidence, freshness and energy and give a best shot in 2020.

At times I feel persistence is key to success while other times I feel that it's futile to fight a losing battle, but save my efforts to fight another day.

This forum has many experienced aspirants and any constructive suggestions are welcome

Thanks. 🙂

You may want to share two things

Your year of birth ( You May obfuscate a little )
    Your graduation degree and college

• @Neyawn I'll turn 26 this year (93 born), had a btech degree (ece) from a tier 1 engineering college (2014 passed out).

• @Valar_morghulis

I’ve had a similar situation in the following count :-

1. 1994 born
    2. Graduated 2015
    3. Attempt in 2017
    4. Didn’t qualify, reached interview stage
    5. Hadn’t studied for prelims whilst preparing for interview

What I did ?
    I was too upset for not clearing ( + didn’t study for prelims) , so I decided to shift careers. Went the MBA route, studied for 6 months and gave few entrance exams. Final results of these exams began coming in late February. When I started to get in few colleges, I imagined myself in the corporate sector and I figured how unhappy I would be. It’s not what I wanted nor would it provide me any job satisfaction.
    Met Aayush sir in March, and since then made my sole focus to crack this exam no matter how many attempts or years it takes.

My suggestion ?

Let your detailed marks come, analyse it thoroughly. Reinvigorate your strategy, and aim for 2020 attempt diligently.

P.S- One of the main reason I suggest the above is because you said “ That enthusiasm and energy which drove me for 2 years were not there and there is feeling of exhaustion. I'm preparing alone from home now. I tried starting , but even laxmikant seems irritating now
    The journey is long and arduous, if you begin with confused mindset & exhaustion, more likely than not it won’t provide ideal results.

• @rashiv Kudos!

However , while deciding this one needs to keep in perspective family background as well. In my case, my father is retiring this June, even my younger brother is preparing for competitive exam, the only alternate income is from agriculture (esp sugarcane but sugar mills are not paying farmers). The most important reason for me take up state pcs job was because I CAN'T study on pension of my father which will again be a meagre 30K around.

• @Cbsecse

Absolutely agree ! Family background is an important factor.

• @Valar_morghulis

• You can take a call once the marks are out. Say you missed out of the list because you messed up one part of the exam ( Essay, GS , Optional, or Interview ). You can work on fixing the one thing post Prelims. But say you missed the list because you didn't get good scores across the papers ( except interview) think on whether the 3.5 months between Prelims and Mains and would be a good time to improve on them and then take a call on what changes are required.

Coming to motivation aspect, you will be down for a week to say the least. Then you will have the energy to avenge. I know this for a fact because , I missed being on the list twice, this year included..