ForumIAS Mains Open Test : Simulator X
ForumIAS will be conducting an All India Simulator ( Mains ) 2019 across 10+ cities. Visit http://go.forumias.com/sim for details and registration.
Registration for delhi is now open Click Here

Last battle need guidance

Topic created Β· 21 Posts Β· 1005 Views
  • Next year 2020 will be my final attempt, I have given interview in 2017 and 2018 with PSIR, this year failed to make it to interview list.

My issue is each year my marks in PSIR has fluctuated despite my sincere efforts so I'm planning to change it as I don't feel confident in it. I need help from my co aspirants for

1. Optional with least chance of butchering
    2. Where effort to extent materialises in result.
    3. If it has less applied parts it's preferable but not priority

Any help will be deeply appreciated.

• My reply gonna be least useful to you I feel

Still looking at your optional I got tempted to respond

A friend’s friend .. psir optional .. first attempt .. 22 year old .. got rank 118 this year

Mine is going to be 5th with no interview experience 😐😐 ( so the above lines are not to make you feel bad )

Psir is not very dicey optional like some engineering sort of optionals are .

And everyone is crying about their optionals .. be it sociology , economics , geography and now in your case PSIR

No final answer from my side to your question asked . But do take an objective and rational decision disregarding preconceived notions 😐

Good luck πŸ™‚

• @Gatka

What were your scores in 2017 ?

• @Exo issue is fluctuation. I don't know what new I can do in PSIR now.

• @duckprep in 2017 316 in 2018 267

• how do you know you got 267 in 2018?
    Edit: confusion clear

• My optional is Hindi literature and I am from English medium! I tried the first attempt with psir and second one with my own background commerce.. but I couldn't manage them well.. but this is the first time .. I have completed my optional much before pre.. i.e hindi.. it was my one of fav during school and now I feel lil strenghthened with it!
    This optional was never in my mind.. but one day after watching Ganga Singh's AIR 33 video... I took out one PYP and tried to attempt it.. most of the Qs I was able to answer, ss I have already been through many Premchand stories, novels, and kabir, rahim poems out of interest in past...
    Now the material is available for whole syllabus, short and sweet, not many books.. only 6 booklets of coaching material I received
    If you are looking for a change.. see the material availability, your grasping power related to it... Even I had to work hard in Hindi too, it is not that easy..
    Every optional is lengthy in itself , it is us who make it work in favor of us..

• @Gatka
    My 2 cents.

It is generally a common tendency to blame the Optional post disaster and this happens due to a cognitive bias against something in the preparation which we can change (Out of all the papers, only optional can be changed)

But in most of the cases (including mine) Optional is not the ONLY culprit, statistically speaking only good score in optional can't get one in the list. But somehow we direct our anger towards the optional.

I am not aware of your situation or your comfort with PSIR, but changing an optional might not always translate into amazing marks in the new optional (I have few friends who switched from PubAd to Anthro and failed miserably with double digit score in both the papers of Anthro)

Moreover the effort one needs to put in a new optional is far more tedious and backbreaking as compared to identifying blindspots and rectifying mistakes in the current optional

P.S This year there was a chap in the final list (forum member) who stuck with geography despite the "butchering potential" subject and secured a good rank in his attempts.

• @Gatka Well, Sociology is interesting to read and there's a lot of material available. I know friends who want to switch from psir to sociology but can't drop an attempt right now. And you'll not be too worried about dynamic questions, though they've been on the rise. PM if you have a query. I've read ideologies and shubhra mam's notes just to get to know someone better and I think it's becoming something like PubAd where people are writing similar answers and getting average marks. Correct me if I'm wrong. Wish you the best.

• @Dreadnought issue is I cannot improve now. There nowthit new I can do in this optional now.

• @Acidpop PM you.

• @Gatka In that case follow your gut.

• If someone can add their view points.

• @Urvashi said in Last battle need guidance:

My optional is Hindi literature and I am from English medium! I tried the first attempt with psir and second one with my own background commerce.. but I couldn't manage them well.. but this is the first time .. I have completed my optional much before pre.. i.e hindi.. it was my one of fav during school and now I feel lil strenghthened with it!
    This optional was never in my mind.. but one day after watching Ganga Singh's AIR 33 video... I took out one PYP and tried to attempt it.. most of the Qs I was able to answer, ss I have already been through many Premchand stories, novels, and kabir, rahim poems out of interest in past...
    Now the material is available for whole syllabus, short and sweet, not many books.. only 6 booklets of coaching material I received
    If you are looking for a change.. see the material availability, your grasping power related to it... Even I had to work hard in Hindi too, it is not that easy..
    Every optional is lengthy in itself , it is us who make it work in favor of us..

Have you factored in your writing speed with respect to Hindi in exam condition. I would suggest you must test yourself on writing in Hindi at a stretch for 3 hours to ensure that knowledge converts into things written on Paper.

• @Neyawn Sir, I have not written for 3 hours yet! par Pre hote hi mai iske tests dena shuru kar dungi

• @Urvashi said in Last battle need guidance:

@Neyawn Sir, I have not written for 3 hours yet! par Pre hote hi mai iske tests dena shuru kar dungi

Yes, must do that. We often face problems in things we do not foresee. Everything does not have to be learned by making the mistake by self. It can be learned by benefitting from the experience of others. Which is why this community.

• @Neyawn Sir, how should one channel the thought while writing an answer? I'm something here. Is it the information overload or am I missing something? need help!

• @Gatka A friend of mine took public administration optional and he ran out of attempts this year. Though he was getting decent marks in pubad test series, he never really had that much interest in the subject to begin with. He was really good in maths but many people told him not to change the optional so he followed that advice. My point is see if you really like the subject or not, I can understand it's difficult to like any subject after a failure but I believe it really matters when it comes to optional.
    Choose wisely and see if you really like any other optional subject.
    All the best.

• @MrNobody hey thanks but it's not about liking. I love PSIR but I don't know where to improve now. All answer writing. Theories, quotations, flow chart I have tried and it is fluctuating. I feel a new optional is what I need.

• @Gatka I am not in the capacity to suggest anything as I myself have not achieved any milestone yet but still would like to share my thought.
    I myself messed up my optional this year(Pub Ad) and just after mains I buckled up fo Anthropology completed few chapters but second thoughts kept popping up like what if you have done well in optional you never know let the marks be declared then make an analysis. And I was back from where I started.
    But in due course I found out that ANTHROPOLOGY is a very interesting optional.

1. Its scoring.
    2. Definite syllabus and easy to complete and revise.
    3. Study material easily available.
    4. Quite static with a tinge of dynamism.
      Go through Yuval Noah Harari's "Sapiens" it will definitely compel you to consider it.

Please talk to the stalwarts of Anthropology before considering it.