Current Affairs Revision Classes + Answer Writing For Mains 2019 
the one class you can bank upon to ace Mains 2019
Click Here to Subscribe for the classes.
Classes to be held every Monday and Tuesday, 5 PM. 

COMPREHENSIVE GUIDANCE PROGRAM 2020
ForumIAS CGP 2020 Program commences from June 20th, 2019. CLICK HERE to know more and apply. Or email us on admissions@forumias.academy to know more

Ethics+ Batch 2 for CSE 2019
Starts 12th June, 2019Register Here

History optional 2019 - Official Preparation Thread

Topic created · 40 Posts · 1495 Views
  • Starting one thread for all queries & discussions on topics. Let's make full use of it.
    Please refrain from discussions on 'How tough this optional is' or similar questions.
    We have all selected History as an optional because of some positive driving force at the back of our heads.
    And people have done it earlier & will continue to do it. Let us be one amongst them.

• "The Advaita doctrine of Shankara cut at the very root of Bhaktivada."Do you agree ?[2016, 15 Marks]

• In the ninth century Shankara started a Hindu revivalist movement giving a new orientation to Hinduism.
    His Advaita doctrine equated every individual (Atman) to be very art of the Brhaman(Ultimate Reality). The creative process and all the objects in creation around us are illusion( maya) and not real as per Shankara.
    His philosophy emphasised on Nirgun Bhakti , worshiping God without attributes.

In the twelfth century, Ramanuja, preached Visishtadvaita i.e worshiping God with attributes. According to him God, soul, matter around us are real. He also advocated prabattimarga or path of self-surrender to God

Advaita doctrine is part of Bhaktivada in some ways as the Bhaktivada is a broad philosophy that involves both Nirgun Bhakti and Saguna Bhakti with respect to devotion to God.

while the Advaita doctrine of Shankara cut at the very root of Bhaktivada in a way that
    a)it is contradictory it's philosophy of surrounding matter being real.
    b)The Bhakti movement also served the larger purpose of socio religious movement during medieval period which was not the case with Advaita doctrine.

• @capricornape
    Bhai yeh part kaha se kiya

• @Freakhoto - bhai upinder & IGNOU MA se kiya tha but ye part thoda tough hai. I.e why ye question daala maine.

571703b8-7a9d-494b-a434-e22040c79e60-image.png
    703a6082-b9c1-466f-90c6-e4733b890d84-image.png

• @Mowgli - Sir I believe you missed an important point and that is the idea of Gyanmarg & Bhaktimarg.
    Bhakti came into being because it was difficult to pursue god by the other 2 ways - Karmamarg & Gyanmarg.
    Shankaraa supported Gyanmarg & I think it is mainly in this context the question has been framed.
    But rest of your points I believe are rock solid. Thanks.
    Let me know if I have interpreted the question wrongly.

• @capricornape Your point is apt with respect to question.
    Yes, your approach to the question in correct direction that why and how both are different approach.
    However, i tried assimilating points with both the perspectives of similarities and differences.

• @Mowgli - yes aapke approach se points zyada generate ho jayenge for a 15 marker

• @capricornape this is the most daunting part of the whole optional yeh sab philosophy mje samj ni aa rha h i think we should crowd source for this

• Can someone please explain why historians classify Mughal Empire as something separate from the Delhi Sultanate. Why it is not seen as a continuation to Delhi Sultanate. For example, Delhi Sultanate had 5 dynasties - Slave, Khilji, Tughlaq, Syyid, and Lodhis. Why Mughals not added as a sixth dynasty but considered separate from the Delhi Sultanate.

Someone please explain. I'm not able to find answer to this question anywhere.

• @Phoenix Bhai delhi sultanate turkish origin k the and Mughals were origins of Timurids and monogolian mixture..basic difference..
    And why should on connate because post fat death there was a fragmentation of power based on rise of regional kingdoms and Afghan rulers (Who were considered a part of Delhi sultanate) Which was deafeated by Babur to gain throne

• Thanks @Freakhoto for the explanation!

• do you people have timeline wise events notes of modern history:: the Required period from 1757 around to 1947??

• @Urvashi spectrum Madam

• @Freakhoto You are right but I was asking for it on the basis of previous year Q

CSP 2018 Which among the following event happened earliest?
    a) Swami Dayanand established Arya Samaj
    b) Dinbandhu Mitra wrote Neeldarpan
    c) Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay wrote Anandmath
    d) Satyendranath Tagore became first Indian to succeed in ICS examination

Also about post-independence

CSP 2018 Consider the following events:

1. The 1st dramatically elected communist party govt formed in a State in India
    2. India's then largest bank, 'Imperial Bank of India', was renamed 'State bank of India'
    3. Air India was nationalized and became the national carrier
    4. Goa become a part of Independent India

So if someone owns very short event wise notes to solve these kinds of Question, it would help!

• @Urvashi
    The rfirst can be easily done and atleast two options can be eliminated but the next question is out of the box so cant help here

• Why did Sufism decline in india?

• @Freakhoto

1. On larger level Sufi's were failed to remove the divide between Hindus and Muslims.
    2. They face resistance of traditional Ulemas.
    3. In later phase most of Sufis associate themselves with rulers so they face resistance of rival candidates of throne.
    4. In British rule they didnt get any support.
  • @RaoBika Jaanaab british period kuch zdya hi door chale gaye..

• @Freakhoto hehe... Bhai points generate kar raha tha to ek extra point laga... aap bhi apna answer likhiye Janaab!