All good things must come to an end.
We are moving away from quest to a new version of ForumIAS ( Beta ) at http://beta.forumias.com
You can no longer create new posts or comments. You will be able to access private messages. Topics and comments have already moved to beta.forumias.com , you can find respective link at the bottom of every topic. Requests you , do not create same topics again in beta.
INTERVIEW FOR CSE 2019
All ForumIAS members selected for CSE 2019 Personality Test must submit their details and DAF and register below to receive further instructions and guidance from ForumIAS. Click here to register now
ForumIAS Official Telegram Channel Click to Join

Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers

Topic created · 476 Posts · 21567 Views
  • @doodlebean Thank you mam, you don't sound rude at all. Your suggestions are valuable to all of us and i am sure we will take your comments in right spirit.

• @doodlebean thank you mam. What shld come in second part .

• @Bhagat-singh
    I’ll post my answer in evening . Till then you start working on second question .

• Question 1.a) "The scope of the discipline of Public Administration is determined by what an administrative system does." Does it mean that the scope of this discipline is boundaryless? Explain

Answer : Since in public administration, there is no unanimous definition, so there is no agreement on what public administration is and thus, its scope is also unsettled and undefined. Waldo says the since public administration deals with the government in action and as that remains ever-changing, the scope also remains ever-changing.

Various Schools of Thought attempted to delineate the scope of public administration as :

Narrow View v. Broad View

• Narrow View : The study of the executive branch of the government.
    • Broad view : The scope of Public Administration includes the study of all the three organs of the state i.e. the legislature, the executive and the judiciary.

Managerial View v. Integral View

There are certain theorists like Fayol, Gulick, Urwick etc. who fall under the managerial school of thought. These theorists emphasized that public administration includes within its domain only the managerial activities because according to them,it is the managerial activity that enables an organization to appear one and directs the entire organization towards a single goal.
    This view has been contested by the Integral View Theorists like Dimock,Wilson etc. These theorists believe that public administration as a discipline includes within its ambit the study of all the activities of the organization such as manual activities, clerical activities and technical activities besides the managerial activities.
    Similarly, if we take into account the POSDCORB view, it emphasizes that public administration as a discipline means the study of tools and techniques of the administration. But, this has been contested by the Subject Matter View. The subject matter view says that public administration as a discipline includes within its ambit the study of public policies. But, it has some serious implications. It expanded the scope of public administration to such an extent that everything came under the umbrella of public administration and at the same time, it made public administration inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary in nature.

This resulted into a loss of boundary leading towards a crisis of identity because today the government or public policy extends to almost every area of human activity.

Waldo has appropriately responded to this concern. He says that public administration has a stable core though an oscillating periphery. The study of the stable core imparts it, its identity and the study of the oscillating periphery further enriches it. No discipline today is uni-disciplinary, every discipline is multi-disciplinary. As,being uni-disciplinary is death and being multi-disciplinary is growth and prosperity.

Public administration carries a wider scope and it is the study of government in action. Government in action is a dependant variable and thus it is linked to a number of ecological concerns. The government in action is never static and thus, its boundary can never be established or delineated.
    The scope of public administration is linked to the concept of public administration. This is because the definition of public administration is not yet settled and it is not yet fully conceptualized. Thus, it is difficult to demarcate its outline.

• @doodlebean ok mam.

• @doodlebean said in Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers:

@prowess
    It’s a good attempt provided the parent question be ‘scope of public administration’....read the question again. Don’t you think the parent question is discipline being boundary less or not??
    What makes that 20 percent difference between toppers and others is understanding the question properly .... like You’re communicating with the examiner through your answer- ‘I can only see what you wanted me to see.’

pg1.jpg
    pg2.jpg

• @doodlebean mam pardon me for asking this but I'm comfused as the question asks us about public administration discipline is boudaryless...... which means 'public administration subject as a whole'' it could be anything as an activity or a discipline or whatever comes under the subject and not just public administration as a discipline.
    as an activity it can boundaryless in different ways as to whatever is done for public by state comes under this every aspect of life is nowadays touched by pubad
    as a discipline is just the study of subject in detail where it is boundaryless in different ways as the subject has many aspects and public administration can mould into pol science, economics, business, sociology. because of diverse nature of the subject.
    like pub ad as political science for adressing political issues and bringing changes to the political administration
    pub ad as sociology adressing sociological perspectives of society
    pub ad as business...ppp model etc

• @prowess
    So I went through all the answers. Let’s break the question into two points which have the most emphasis-
    -‘determined by what an administrative system does’
    -‘scope of the discipline is boundaryless?’

When they ask what an administrative system does -then don’t you think we should trace the evolutionary history of the discipline like one among you very correctly did.

While tracing the evolutionary history from NPA to NPG we can witness that the scope of the discipline is continuously evolving and the boundaries changing. Like we can truly witness a stage from a lot of boundaries to more n more boundaries getting dissolved till we reach NPG which is the current stage and still evolving.

• @doodlebean

Brilliant. This is the level of clarity we need

Bhagat Singh's concluding lines of "vacillating periphery, but stable core" will do the balancing act.

• @doodlebean Mam is it necessary to explicitly mention the keywords in our answers as asked in the question like "boundary less" here as in my answer I have mentioned the same thing the other way?
    Please do tell me where I lacked in my approach and how do you manage to make so well explained diagrams.. please throw some light

• @IWRA said in Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers:

@doodlebean

Brilliant. This is the level of clarity we need

Bhagat Singh's concluding lines of "vacillating periphery, but stable core" will do the balancing act.

Absolutely 👍🏻

• @IWRA @doodlebean Mam i face prblm in breaking the ques in parts. In all 3 mains i hv faced this prblm and so i havent clrd mains once. Even for those ques which i have good content i dnt how to approach it, how to break it in parts.
    Also i hv one doubt while writing in points do we need to just mention the point or shld we also explain tht point. . Example- Rti will increase transparency.
    Is this enough or do i need to also write how rti will increase transparency. Likewise for every point in the ans.

• @Unicorn
    I guess it’s necessary. Who knows whether your answer will be read from first to last alphabet. Sometimes those who are evaluating emphasise more on key words. However unjust but this is how it is.

Your answer is good especially that core periphery part. But since word limit is too restricted we need to address the core (emphasis of the question) - evolutionary aspect rather than subject matter view , posdcorb etc

I’ll share someday my evolutionary history as well 😁. The kind of diagrams I used to make in initial days. I can assure elated you’ll feel witnessing what daily practice has done to my thought process and diagrams. Same goes for you too..... mark the date. We will talk after 6 months. 😊

• @doodlebean Now I can relate where I lagged. When I read this question the only thing that came to my mind is Waldo's view of oscillating periphery and stable core and the claims from different disciplines that Public Administration belonged to their sub set.
    I messed up my optional.

May be you could become my knight in shining armour.

• @Bhagat-singh said in Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers:

@IWRA @doodlebean Mam i face prblm in breaking the ques in parts. In all 3 mains i hv faced this prblm and so i havent clrd mains once. Even for those ques which i have good content i dnt how to approach it, how to break it in parts.
    Also i hv one doubt while writing in points do we need to just mention the point or shld we also explain tht point. . Example- Rti will increase transparency.
    Is this enough or do i need to also write how rti will increase transparency. Likewise for every point in the ans.

Start breaking the question in parts and posting it here. Let’s address this problem. Start with 2018 question paper. Ho jaayega. Itna badha issue nhi hai. Don’t worry. Hindi mein translate kar liya karo question ko mann mein. This is the trick. Pata chal jaayega emphasis kaha hai.

For your second query. Question par depend karta hai totally. I’ll keep this in mind. Will address your query in due process.

• @doodlebean thank you mam for suggestions and assurance. Will be regular on this thread.

• @Hakunah_Matata said in Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers:

@doodlebean Now I can relate where I lagged. When I read this question the only thing that came to my mind is Waldo's view of oscillating periphery and stable core and the claims from different disciplines that Public Administration belonged to their sub set.
    I messed up my optional.

Haha... I’m so mesmerised with the kind words that you’ve used😁.Thank you. But this Knight may go someday, my transfer orders are waiting for MCC to get over. Till then I want you guys to participate in maximum number and ask as many queries as you want to. Yaha se 10 ka bhi selection ho jaayega to mera aana safal ho jaayega. Best wishes. 😊

• @doodlebean said in Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers:

@Hakunah_Matata said in Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers:

@doodlebean Now I can relate where I lagged. When I read this question the only thing that came to my mind is Waldo's view of oscillating periphery and stable core and the claims from different disciplines that Public Administration belonged to their sub set.
    I messed up my optional.

Haha... I’m so mesmerised with the kind words that you’ve used😁.Thank you. But this Knight may go someday, my transfer orders are waiting for MCC to get over. Till then I want you guys to participate in maximum number and ask as many queries as you want to. Yaha se 10 ka bhi selection ho jaayega to mera aana safal ho jaayega. Best wishes. 😊

Oh no! Ma'am u were leaving? I thought I would be active after prelims /june 🙁 here and can get help in PubAd. I'm a first timer who took PubAd which isn't my graduation stream at all.Now I'm much worried about "Pre" (Almost become offline here but your posts made me comeback ).

• @doodlebean you motivated me through this mam... Thank you

I always admired you and IWRA sir, but felt demotivated too seeing the quality of your answer. That I will never reach that level.. But i indeed can...
    Anyways
    My take on the question

ever since it's evolution, disciplinary studies in public administration has responded to the needs of practical administrators. Changing requirements of practical administrative system Brought changes in the approach of theorists.

For example

1930s-prwctical administrators focused more on efficiency and structure, .. Thus discipline responded to it though classical theories.

NPA arouse as a result of ineffectiveness of classical theories in dealing with post world. War 2 issues in USA..
    PCT and NPM approach emerged to cater to the administrative systems requirement of more privatisation and market forces in the economy

Similarly networked governance of the current era which emphasises on blurring of lines between government, market and civil society defines the scope of disciplinary studies today, which has to take into consideration role of people, civil society and market as a whole

Thus with increasing complexity of governance, the definition as well as work of administrative system is expanding. Twhich means that the boundary of the discipline is also expanding.

However to say that the discipline is boundaryless will not be appropriate. The disciplines core focus, that is policy making, policy execution by career bureaucrats is still relevant..
    The core is not boundaryless but the periphery is indeed expanding.

Poor attempt i feel:(

• @AryaStark19
    I’ll leave you with a lot of material and notes on this thread. Don’t you worry. And for emergency purposes I’ll share my emailid on pm. 😊

@AryaStark19
    I’ll leave you with a lot of material and notes on this thread. Don’t you worry. And for emergency purposes I’ll share my emailid on pm. 😊

Thank you so much ma'am 😊

• @mahi2501

YOU CAN 😊

Who says it’s a poor attempt. That’s exactly how I’d have attempted. Little bit of presentation and you’re good to go. 😊

• @AryaStark19
    Still keep coming so that you don’t get out of touch and try attempting questions even if it’s once a week.

• @doodlebean @Bhagat-singh
    Adding to doodlebean ma'am's reply.

For 10 markers, the explanation part has to be very short and crisp. Too much elaboration here would eat away precious time and space, making your answer substandard.

For 15/20 marker, you can go in little more details ( details here would mean: expanding the sentence,citing some examples, and linking the concept with public administration paper 1 theories and thinkers).

For example on RTI:
    RTI improves transparency by making administration accountable for their actions, it empowers citizens who can now seek information from administration. RTI has helped in revealing pilferage and corruption in PDS scheme in various districts. RTI thus helps in good governance also as it makes administration more transparent, accountable, responsive and citizen friendly. ( This much explanation can be done in 20 markers, but should be avoided in 10 marker)

For linkage part use any theory or thinker. Like RTI helps in moving administration from a closed system to an open system where the environment ( citizens, civil society) have a say in administration.

@AryaStark19
    Still keep coming so that you don’t get out of touch and try attempting questions even if it’s once a week.

Ma'am, I wanted to! but I'm lagging economy portion, this current affair and PT tests 😔I'm getting very low scores with high end -ve marks. I'm actually depressed as all of my fellow classmates are scoring well.

• @AryaStark19
    It’s gonna be alright 😊

Guys...
    Second question tomorrow... looking forward to your answers. We need to complete this paper in 10 days.

@AryaStark19
    It’s gonna be alright 😊

Guys...
    Second question tomorrow... looking forward to your answers. We need to complete this paper in 10 days.

@IWRA Sir aapki help chahiye hogi 😊

• @doodlebean
    Thank you mam.

Presentation per se??

Structuring?

• @doodlebean I am at your service.

Even one stark is alive, winterfell would run 😛

• @mahi2501
    Some flowchart or Diagram. A quote here n there.

• @IWRA
    Sir Sir Sir 😁

• @IWRA said in Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers:

@doodlebean I am at your service.

Even one stark is alive, winterfell would run 😛

First of all Congratulations Sir!
    And secondly this one liner made me forget about my miseries with PT stress. 😊 Thank you!

• @doodlebean how much time will it take for me to reach the level of basic minimum standards of a good answer....
    where i lack is-
    1.i dont know what is being asked in the question
    2. even if i know what the question is about then also i mix up a lot of things leading my answer to nothing but khichdi😐

• @doodlebean okey..

• @prowess no one can define the time Bro... Effort matters..
    2 months intensive effort can do

• @prowess
    One answer daily with all the effort, detailing and diagrams. One month tops. 30 answers that’s it and you’ll visualise the change yourself.

• @IWRA thanks sir . Thats very helpful.

@prowess
    One answer daily with all the effort, detailing and diagrams. One month tops. 30 answers that’s it and you’ll visualise the change yourself.

shukriya mam🙏 you have such a positive attitude towards ur students.

i will be regular here and will work hard to reach that level.✌😁

• @prowess said in Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers:

@doodlebean said in Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers:

@prowess

shukriya mam🙏 you have such a positive attitude towards ur students.

i will be regular here and will work hard to reach that level.✌😁

@doodlebean Looks like, its possible to rewind the clocks and we can get back to pre-2015 days of the forum.

• @Neyawn
    We can. We will.

P.s minus the bakar thread 😁

• @AryaStark19

Thanks Arya.

And remember, a girl should fear no one, not even prelims. 😛
    You will be ok. Just give your 200%. We are here to help you.

• @doodlebean your words and replies comes as a blessing to us...you are such a great motivational force... certainly your return has raised the level of enthusiasm amongst the aspirant community on forum like it was in your times...keep mentoring us we will remain indebted to you forever !

• @Unicorn
    I too will be regular here..

@doodlebean should be awarded as the best forumite.. Thank you mam

• @Unicorn
    Always here to help you. I’v suffered a lot alone in this grinding process. I know how it feels and I can assure you will not feel alone till the time I’m here. Outside this thread even otherwise if you feel low anytime during the process or want to share something I’m available to give a patient hearing and necessary advice. Take good care.

• @mahi2501 said in Official Thread for Public Administration Optional - Questions & Answers:

@Unicorn
    I too will be regular here..

@doodlebean should be awarded as the best forumite.. Thank you mam

Well! A Dairy Milk Silk won’t harm on your selection 😁

• @doodlebean 😊 That's so kind of you mam.. now when you've just said all this I will keep bothering you at regular intervals hope you ll bear with it as patiently as you asked for it 😂

• @doodlebean you already deserve that mam:)