ForumIAS Mains Open Test : Simulator X
ForumIAS will be conducting an All India Simulator ( Mains ) 2019 across 10+ cities. Visit http://go.forumias.com/sim for details and registration.
Registration for delhi is now open Click Here

Ethics case study Framework

Topic created · 48 Posts · 1851 Views
  • lets discuss pyq of case studies

• what was your approach to this case study or similar case studies where there's a conflict between values like empathy and objectivity ?
    c9e2b64f-02ae-45e1-a1f1-54b605eba029-image.png
    d51da6cd-050b-4683-bb2e-452c315f49f5-image.png

• another case study in similar theme

d7458af7-bbb5-4afa-8cb9-2cd899e61e7f-image.png

• @John_Titor Ethical action vs Legal action dilemma
    The consequence of action should be given priority over the detrminants of the action
    He should try to convince his higher officials to provide an exception to this case
    In the long run try and take out the second clause from the scheme
    If that is not immediately possible he should possibly look for other government schemes that would provide if not final an immediate relief to thier problem
    This what I can think of!
    I dont know if this could be written or not?

• @ManchesterUnited I would begin with a brief intro highlighting how public servants have to encounter such conflicts on a regular basis while executing schemes due to dilemma of limited resources and unlimited demands.
    my course of action would be that I will ask my superiors if there are any precedents to deal with such situations and whether any exceptions can be made. However if no solution is found I will deny them assistance under present scheme as carving out exceptions for one leads to slippery slope situation. I'd rather try to accommodate them under some other scheme if possible or use my contacts with ngo etc.

other opinions welcome.

• @John_Titor hii
    I think highlighting ethical viewpoint would be more apt rather than going for plain economic argument viz. unlimited demand. etc.

I think we can also highlight values like compassion, empathy, etc.

@John_Titor nice initiative!

• @John_Titor You could start with the ethical dilemma and explain it. In my view I would take a stance that the old couple cannot be helped under this scheme but I can do then following:

1. Check if alternative schemes exist
    2. Link the couple to an NGOs willing to bear the cost
    3. Discuss with superiors and take initiative to form a general rule of action to tackle similar situations in future.
      Mention the qualities I have displayed: objectivity, leadership and empathy.

I don't know whether it is the right answer though

• @forappsbyotch699 said in Ethics case study Framework:

@John_Titor You could start with the ethical dilemma and explain it. In my view I would take a stance that the old couple cannot be helped under this scheme but I can do then following:

1. Check if alternative schemes exist
    2. Link the couple to an NGOs willing to bear the cost
    3. Discuss with superiors and take initiative to form a general rule of action to tackle similar situations in future.
      Mention the qualities I have displayed: objectivity, leadership and empathy.

I don't know whether it is the right answer though

your approach for 2nd case study ? can we make her sign/thumbprint an affidavit and on the basis of that provide immediate relief for a designated period. and meanwhile by coordinating with other department get her necessary documents issued. This way I uphold empathy and compassion for weaker sections, leadership and administrative justice without bending any rules.

• @John_Titor The dielemma is not so pronounced here
    He has to make sure she gets basic recognition by registering her into voters list or the Aadhar scheme first(if has not already registered) which should not be a big problem
    Based on that further action can be taken
    She is old and destitute and probably has no support system of her own
    If these schems doesnot benifit her,then who else?

• @John_Titor I'm sure you dont need to give such specific ideas. My answer would be this:
    For part A
    Explain that it can be said that it is a conflict of ideas of machiavelli (end justifies the means I.e give her the scheme despite no proof) vs objectivity

1. Collect her details and make a note of the required proof
    2. Begin process of ensuring required proof. Accelerate it as you have already verified her condition and background
    3. Meanwhile use services of NGO or existing schemes such as swadar Greh to ensure temporary alleviation.
    4. Ensure that in future when such cases come up there is a standard procedure to follow. Get it approved from superiors.

For part B

1. Need to help as the final goal is social welfare of destitute old people.
    2. Values of empathy
    3. Right to life of dignity of the woman under threat
    4. Vulnerable section of society - illiterate, old and destitute

So yeah this is how I would go about it. Wouldn't expect good marks though. This is very low content for 20 marks

• @John_Titor
    I did not score well in last year ethics paper(in 90's).
    To the above question I followed this approach

1st mentioned all shareholders as the motive of the case study was to arrive at win-win situation
    2) Discussed various options even including her in the scheme (+ possible ways to achieve it)(but discussed the demerit)
    3)Alternatives were discussed --> a) Checking various other schemes wherein you can help her .b) Contacting a NGO(name also) and taking their help. C) Helping to set up crowdfunding (name) and D) Last but importantly following up the until the process is completed.

• Talking to senior officials explaining situation and make an exception
    Also recommended Ayushmann Bharat scheme or rsby for them and medicines under jan Aushadhi Yojana
    For such elder couples ensure Atal pension scheme for further support
    And suggest senior officials to please make such laws for further guidance in such extraordinary cases

• A junior member of staff has just returned to work after taking special leave to care for her elderly mother. For financial reasons she needs to work full-time. She has been having difficulties with her mother’s home care arrangements, causing her to miss a number of team meetings (which usually take place at the beginning of each day) and to leave work early. She is very competent in her work but her absences are putting pressure on her and her overworked colleagues. You are her manager, and you are aware that the flow of work through the practice is coming under pressure. One of her male colleagues is beginning to make comments such as “a woman’s place is in the home”, and is undermining her at every opportunity, putting her under even greater stress.

Question:

How should you proceed so as not to discredit yourself, your profession or the practice for which you work and at the same time maintaining integrity and confidentiality in your actions? (200 Words)

• @ManchesterUnited would allow flexible work time with options Like work from home and discussion through video calling .also there is a provision for workers to take leave for care of their parents help her in getting the leave and making colleagues aware of the problem she is dealing with so that they can connect with her current situation and do not pass comments .rescheduling the project and completing the portions that don’t compulsorily require her presence and doing other portion later so that project is on time as well as enough work is done before her arrival .

• @Guddurangeela also organise gender sensitisation programme for all employees so that they no longer have such orthodox views about women

• @ManchesterUnited Quest interface sucks big time.

Major actors

1. You
    2. Junior staff and her member
    3. Staff
    4. Institution

Though she has every right to take care of her mother she cannot forgo her professional duties. Moreover it's creating a pressure on her colleagues and the Institution. Meanwhile as staffs are already showing discontent towards her any action which allows to continue will be viewed as partisan. So following actions can be taken

1. Sometimes staff (colleague) behave rudely because they are unaware of the ground situation. So after taking her consent discussing with staff and asking them to be helpful for Sometime.
    2. Check if it's in your capacity to add a new member so that workload can be reduced on humanitarian grounds. However it can have a financial repercussions on Institution.
    3. However the problem can stretch to a longer duration so discussing with her and finding a solution for financial difficulties will be a good idea (Such as rise, working on any weekend to compensate, helping her to arrange for mothers care )
    4. However the tone of the staff is to be looked upon. As a sensitive human being it's necessary to inculcate a broader outlook and gender neutral approach. Gender sensitisation (as suggested by @Guddurangeela is a good idea).

PS : If time permits underlying comments made by male colleague can be because of jealousy and other reasons. So knowing it can go longway in team building.

• good points both @Guddurangeela and @wawrinka
    I think I'm beginning to get a hang of how to approach case studies after seeing your answers. I will post a few more in coming days. thanks

• @John_Titor have a look at orientias last year's solutions, I personally found them very good.

• @Minato haven't checked orientalias case studies (Do check this also). However I feel we have more to learn by going through topper copies as ethics is more about considering various options and adopting broader approach.
    Download two to three topper copies and compare their answerers (same question).

• @wawrinka ya, that would be a good way too.