Application for CGP Foundation 2021 : Registration Open
ForumIAS Academy commences with Complete Guidance Program - 2021   |   Click here to register

Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?

Topic created ยท 95 Posts ยท 5558 Views
  • is it good for prelim+main?or dipin sir in forumias is better option?

• Hi,

I am a student of Santosh sir's current affairs classes. I got exposure to him last year when his course was free for 6 months with the GS coaching that I took at SR IAS. While I didn't like the GS coaching all that much, his classes have been great.

As for Dipin sir, one of the toppers this year (Minal, Rank 35) has always sung high praises for Dipin sir's classes but I am not sure if the program is year-long or a short one.

Santosh sir's classes cover a topic in detail, from basic to advanced. His notes are similar in nature to Vision IAS notes but obviously, the content is different.

As for joining one class or the other, I would suggest taking a look at the free classes shared by both on Youtube and then making a decision. In the long run, it doesn't matter much because both of them are good and will ensure regular coverage but one teacher might mesh with you better than the other.

Feel free to ask me any particular question that you have.

• @LeoMessi bhai honestly speaking......

M hardcore forumIAS praising guy.
    But Santosh sir classes are way better than dipin si.

Reasons:-

1. Extensive coverage......Just NOTHING will be left be death sure about it.
    2. USP Science and Tech......the BEST possible. Concepts
    3. If u join pre cum mains then grt chance of answer writing. effective but not too much satisfactory. Although he didn't claim this.

Cons:-

1. Ugly classroom sitting arrangement. Never seen such stupid classroom. Still using iron chairs.... I can bet u can't sit long. But the irony is his classes ranges for 5/6 hrs as well. DONT TAKE OFFLINE but that factor will further reduce answer checking thing

2. Sir goes too much inside for environment. I mean it's required considering preparation but nobody can remember this much. Feel like bas karo sir....

3. Institute sucks a lot. Ugly management.... Vajiram type. Obviously bheed badh gayi hai..... Then kya karein...
      Paise chaap rahe hain.

Overall: sir is best. Not seen such a dedicated teacher. Asif sir(forum) type.... If u join won't regret even a single minute. No need to refer any magzine/pib/notes of newspaper. Just read a news ppr that too editorial and that's it.

PS. I am his student.

• I think sir teaches in a great fashion. Following are the few merits of his classes :

1. He prepares his notes mostly in pre+mains fashion and you just have to sit patiently in his class and listen to what all he teaches

2. There are classes on weekends with good printed notes with wide coverage

3. Sir teaches every current issues with same enthusiasm and depth be it of polity, IR, art& culture , S&T etc

4. Along with currnet affairs of any topic it's basic/static portion is also covered in the class be it any subject.You will be getting good notes on current issues and that will genuinely help in answer writing.

=> He pushes us to study hard N smartly and would tell us some tips to do the same.

=> He is a light hearted person and seems kinda approachable too though never approached him ๐Ÿ˜›

Demerits :

1. Though it was told in the starting that alternate week there will be objective and subjective test but 4 tests have only been conducted so far but tests standard are good

2. The classes maybe a little drag sometimes for someone who has already prepared for 1 year and took GS classes in any institute but rest assured you will be surprised to learn new concepts and his classes will act as refresher. I think basics are covered primarily because freshers are in the batch too and current issues are better handled in this way !

P.S. : I'm currently enrolled in Santosh Sir's Current Affairs batch 2020

• Firstly as far as I remember when we decided to make quest, it was in order to keep these discussions out of here.

But as I am not a Moderator here (yet) ๐Ÿ˜‚, let me give my 2 cents.

The 3 main institutes right now giving CA coverage are Forumias academy, Shubhra ranjan IAS, visionIAS
    Firstly vision :
    Their Pt365+mains365 is obviously the holy grail, every student does that and cant be missed , but recently it's loosing significance (maybe upsc is targeting them specifically or whatever).
    Now coming to Shubhra vs dipin sir as asked

Let me try to list down pros and cons of both.
    Shubhra Ranjan (santosh sir)
    PROS.

1. Extensive slybuss coverage (this is one of its main con too)
    2. good command in some subjects ( sci tech , environment -ecology etc)
    3. holistic coverage of topics and regular tests

CONS.

1. Teachers too much ( almost impossible to revise)
    2. teaches mosly line wise from pdf / printed notes.
    3. is new and still evolving

Forum ( Dipin sir)
    PROS

1. hits bulls eye , teaches specific .

2. Has many tricks up is sleeves to make answer of his student better ( mainly for mains)

3. Covers dimensions more holistically making cross subject linkages

CONS

1. less coverage
    2. too much crowd ( didnt had online option till last year , rather disabled online last year)
    3. subject expertise is lacking .

now that being said , OP must understand that no matter which class he/she joins , hindu/indian express is irreplaceable).
    my personal advise is that if person is new (fresher ) he/she can join santosh sir's class as coverage is very holistic . but a person who has given mains , has been reading newspapers and has the context of topic , must surely join dipin sir.

i personally reccomended one friend to join forum and one to santosh . OP can attend demo lectures ( offline prefferable or online they are on youtube) to see what works for him/her.
    If I have to join for mains I will prefer dipin sir has he has already established his name, ( minal, abhishek surana, and many others would also vouch for same)

• @Zohanmukharjee said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

Firstly as far as I remember when we decided to make quest, it was in order to keep these discussions out of here.

But as I am not a Moderator here (yet) ๐Ÿ˜‚, let me give my 2 cents.

The 3 main institutes right now giving CA coverage are Forumias academy, Shubhra ranjan IAS, visionIAS
    Firstly vision :
    Their Pt365+mains365 is obviously the holy grail, every student does that and cant be missed , but recently it's loosing significance (maybe upsc is targeting them specifically or whatever).
    Now coming to Shubhra vs dipin sir as asked

Let me try to list down pros and cons of both.
    Shubhra Ranjan (santosh sir)
    PROS.

1. Extensive slybuss coverage (this is one of its main con too)
    2. good command in some subjects ( sci tech , environment -ecology etc)
    3. holistic coverage of topics and regular tests

CONS.

1. Teachers too much ( almost impossible to revise)
    2. teaches mosly line wise from pdf / printed notes.
    3. is new and still evolving

Forum ( Dipin sir)
    PROS

1. hits bulls eye , teaches specific .

2. Has many tricks up is sleeves to make answer of his student better ( mainly for mains)

3. Covers dimensions more holistically making cross subject linkages

CONS

1. less coverage
    2. too much crowd ( didnt had online option till last year , rather disabled online last year)
    3. subject expertise is lacking .

now that being said , OP must understand that no matter which class he/she joins , hindu/indian express is irreplaceable).
    my personal advise is that if person is new (fresher ) he/she can join santosh sir's class as coverage is very holistic . but a person who has given mains , has been reading newspapers and has the context of topic , must surely join dipin sir.

i personally reccomended one friend to join forum and one to santosh . OP can attend demo lectures ( offline prefferable or online they are on youtube) to see what works for him/her.
    If I have to join for mains I will prefer dipin sir has he has already established his name, ( minal, abhishek surana, and many others would also vouch for same)

fair evaluation of dipin. I find him much suitable for those who already know the subject matter and are looking for getting maybe 1/2 or 1 mark edge per question. His coverage is broad and lacks depth. His teaching style may not be appropriate for those looking for detailed content. I have to refer vision and my own notes and knowledge base again and again otherwise It gets frustrating. Coz the points that he enumerates are shallow and too simplistic.

tl;dr - use your optional subject scholar names(PSIR helps here) and make short notes from vision. That's what Dipin sir does.

• @thistooshallpass well I am a freasher in upsc.2020 will be my 1st attempt.I have seen both videos of Dipinsir/Santoshsir, I connect with santosh sir teaching style better.Also I am not in delhi.Will be joining through online. For Prelim I am sure to join Santosh sir as of now.

• Well I am a student of santosh sir's batch . So I can give you fair review. He cover each and every topic which is relevant from upsc point of view. Weekly test which he conducts tell you your prep level. No need to write because you are not a type writer you get your class notes over there and get background of each topic.
    For example :- Topic : inter water dispute.
    You get to know what is in const. What was mechanism for tht and now what's mechanism complete analysis +ve , -ve and way forward . Important thing is that santosh sir himself evaluate your answer. In a nut shell if you wish to prep on right path then u can join shubhra ranjan ias for CA .

• @LeoMessi Santosh sir is very responsive. He shares his number with students and responds to queries. You can join the online batch but be aware that there are some troubles with the tech going on. There was some talk of classes being shifted to an app-only model. If you don't have iPad, that may be difficult.

I think Santosh sir is trying to make sure that his course stays on the laptop mode also. And I think he is succeeding too.

I don't think sir's prelims and mains batches are different.

• @John_Titor - Finally someone said what I wanted to say. I always felt I lacked somewhere when I was not able to frame good answers from dipin sir's notes.

• @thistooshallpass Doesnโ€™t he also take a Target Prelims CA Strategic Course starting December or something?

• @Hermione_Granger-0 Maybe he does. I am not sure about this.

• @thistooshallpass said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

@Hermione_Granger-0 Maybe he does. I am not sure about this.

Just got to know that he does, in fact, takes a prelims course starting Feb.

• @Zohanmukharjee & Others,

How do you rate M K Yadav Sir in comparison to other two ?

• @capricornape What are the issues you faced?

• @thistooshallpass yeah this one is probably it. Thanks! Will consider joining it.

• @Freakhoto said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

@capricornape What are the issues you faced?

https://blogadmin.forumias.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/CA-For-Mains2019-Handouts.pdf
    read these handouts , you'll get the problem. One would have thought that one would get something extra other than the bare bone structure provided in the handouts, If he attends the class. But apart from a few exceptions , most of the time it's just the repetition of these handouts only.
    Beside this, there is a problem of dispersed notes. I have my own notes, forum classroom notes, handouts, mains 365. This is a management nightmare. Ideally after getting classes I shouldn't have to depend on 365 or any other source , but that's just not the case !

• @John_Titor said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

@Freakhoto said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

https://blogadmin.forumias.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/CA-For-Mains2019-Handouts.pdf
    read these handouts , you'll get the problem. One would have thought that one would get something extra other than the bare bone structure provided in the handouts, If he attends the class. But apart from a few exceptions , most of the time it's just the repetition of these handouts only.
    Beside this, there is a problem of dispersed notes. I have my own notes, forum classroom notes, handouts, mains 365. This is a management nightmare. Ideally after getting classes I shouldn't have to depend on 365 or any other source , but that's just not the case !

Correct. I am hugely disappointed by these notes.
    I have heard praises of this teacher in the aspirant community.
    Extremely generic content. Focuses merely on the body part. Way forward and conclusions have been given a miss. The body part is average or below in most cases.

This has caused a dilemma do we just need to write merely generic points in answers as the notes are reflecting or are they not rewarded in exam ?
    I have a feeling that these are not the actual class notes which he might be dictating in the class.
    Can any one help ?

• @Omen said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

@John_Titor said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

@Freakhoto said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

Extremely generic content. Focuses merely on the body part. Way forward and conclusions have been given a miss. The body part is average or below in most cases.

This has caused a dilemma do we just need to write merely generic points in answers as the notes are reflecting or are they not rewarded in exam ?
    I have a feeling that these are not the actual class notes which he might be dictating in the class.
    Can any one help ?

I am currently enrolled in his online classes( for which they charged more than offline which is absurd) , this is exactly what he dictates except for few rare occasions. Also classes are more in form of a dialogue than notes dictation, you just write down what you feel is important.

• @John_Titor said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

@Omen said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

@John_Titor said in Need honest review of current affairs class by Santosh sir in Shunbraranjan ias study?:

Can any one help ?

I am currently enrolled in his online classes( for which they charged more than offline which is absurd) , this is exactly what he dictates except for few rare occasions. Also classes are more in form of a dialogue than notes dictation, you just write down what you feel is important.

Has the quality deteriorated this year ? Or were they the same last year too.
    Any idea ?