Prelims Preparatory Classes 2020 | 12th Dec | 8:30AM
ForumIAS Academy commences with Prelims Preparatory Classes 2020 from 12th December at 8:30AM. Attend the first two classes free on 12th and 13th December at 8:30AM. Click here to know more and register

Introspection and suggestions

Topic created Β· 29 Posts Β· 1393 Views
  • Hello friends, feeling completely devastated after back to back failure even at prelims stage. Now introspecting, but didn't get any concrete loop holes other than that I missed few(3-4) probably easy questions. So I wanted to know

1. Do those who are in, have 100% accuracy in easy questions? (questions which came directly from Lakshmikanth or spectrum etc).
    2. What is the margin of error?
    3. How much luck matters as we have to guess between two options in significant number of questions.
      Last question is pertinent to me as I was consistently scoring good marks in Mocks. In Vision Abhyas, I got 130+ marks in all three test(I know it doesn't ensure better score in prelims),similar was the case with forum and insights open test too.
    4. Other suggestions or similar experiences one would like to share
  • Sir with due respect, I want to say that your story is very much similar to mine. I missed 2018 Prelims by 0.67 marks (My Marks : 97.33 Paper I, Cutoff was : 98) . This time also I missed , I was scoring 100 something. I too scored 130+ in several mock tests.

I attempted about 83 Questions, got 24 wrong in the paper.

I think UPSC outsmarts every Mock test. I too cursed my luck but a sudden Bolt of realisation hits me. It is about working much hard, learning for the extra hour to overcome sheer luck.

A friend of mine has cleared the paper by scoring 123 marks in Prelims 2019. We can't say it was LUCK but only hardwork.

So the answer is about going back to the basics, attempting as many mock tests , focusing on Mains simultaneously and improving our attitude as that of a warrior.

And remember "There is no traffic after the extra mile** πŸ™‚

• @Admgenalanezh True indeed! I too believe, hard work steers luck but after missing prelims by very close margin, such thoughts naturally crept in. Yes, let's go back to basics.

• I should have missed this prelims by a very narrow margin. i was getting around 98 in all keys..this was my first attempt with half baked prep..i was not ready for mains..whatever marks i got was from current affairs and static points which were in news..so for clearing the prelims i am getting back to gs standard books and NCERTS and note making(biggest mistake of mine)..this was my hole..now i am trying to aim for 150+ in prelims not cutoff because I can never complete 100% of your dream..if i target 150+, then i will somewhere in between..

• @Burningdesire Yes, but my two experiences suggest that it has boiled down to guessing most of the questions(though thorough and wide reading help getting them right). So no plan to focus on prelims but before 2-3 months. I think it's wise to utilize rest of the time for Mains preparation.

• How is forum ias CGP?

• Okay, after completely being humiliated by UPSC in my fifth attempt, here is what I think went wrong on 2nd June 2019:

• My faulty approach to mock tests: Mock tests are supposed to be full dress rehearsal for the D-day but I didn't understand it and solved mock tests in a piecemeal way- 10 questions at one time. I was not patient enough to solved 100 questions in three hours and then see the answers. Result: couldn't manage my emotional temperament in easy questions and did mark 5-6 questions incorrectly though I got most of my tukkas right due to extensive tukka marking practice.

• Didn't know where to stop: I attempted 95 questions, which was obviously absurd! There were nearly 11 questions which were very tough, factual and IMO, could have been solved through sheer luck only. I attempted all those and got only one correct. Result: Heavy penalty again!

• Didn't drink my coffee that day: Last three months prior to Prelims, I used to take heavy dosage of coffee and dark chocolate. It increased my efficiency and productivity. But if you take coffee in more than normal amount, it will hasten your digestion process and make you feel to poop. In order to avoid this, I didn't take coffee on 2nd June. My mind wa completely shut down for those two hours. I could have hardly thought about any concept. I don't know how I managed to score nearly 100 yet. Lesson: be normal on the D-day!

After seeing lots of my friends in the list I feel Prelims is more about your temperament and attitude rather than knowledge. Its about common sense, self-confidence and ability to successfully execute your strategy.

Remember,
    β€œUntil you run out of pages, there's still room to write an epic ending.”

― Kevin Ngo

Best of luck,

• @Master

Hi Masterji πŸ™

1. No, nobody has 100% accuracy. But many of them who clear prelims know their accuracy. They know exactly how much they will score for questions in which they are sure about the answer, how much they will score for questions in which they are sure about two options being wrong, similarly for three options and finally for questions in which they have zero idea. I've seen people predicting their accuracy and getting exactly that after solving multiple tests.

2. Margin of error is small. A simple ignorance can cost you 2.66 marks. That is about 500 seats for mains.

3. Luck matters a lot in prelims, believe it or not. It does. But you can kind of predict your luck if you've done the right things before the exam.

4. The scores in the mock tests of many test series do not necessarily repeat in the real exam, simply because they are not modeled on the format of a UPSC question paper. Just by making similar quality questions, one cannot meet the standards of UPSC. A lot goes behind it. Starting from number of certain type of questions to a certain type of options. Even the topics are measured if you carefully observe the prev year papers. So unless you solve those kind of mocks, it's difficult to expect the repeat performance.

Unfortunately, prelims has become much more than just hardwork and completing the books thoroughly. There are so many things to address on an individual level.

• @pizzza-0 said in Introspection and suggestions:

No, nobody has 100% accuracy. But many of them who clear prelims know their accuracy. They know exactly how much they will score for questions in which they are sure about the answer, how much they will score for questions in which they are sure about two options being wrong, similarly for three options and finally for questions in which they have zero idea. I've seen people predicting their accuracy and getting exactly that after solving multiple tests.

Margin of error is small. A simple ignorance can cost you 2.66 marks. That is about 500 seats for mains.

Luck matters a lot in prelims, believe it or not. It does. But you can kind of predict your luck if you've done the right things before the exam.

The scores in the mock tests of many test series do not necessarily repeat in the real exam, simply because they are not modeled on the format of a UPSC question paper. Just by making similar quality questions, one cannot meet the standards of UPSC. A lot goes behind it. Starting from number of certain type of questions to a certain type of options. Even the topics are measured if you carefully observe the prev year papers. So unless you solve those kind of mocks, it's difficult to expect the repeat performance.

Unfortunately, prelims has become much more than just hardwork and completing the books thoroughly. There are so many things to address on an individual level.

So what should one do? Because after 3 Prelims failure i see no way to proceed...I dont know even where to work on...

• What worked despite comparable knowledge levels in previous attempt-
    After analysing PYQ, it was clear UPSC is regularly shuffling topics(both no of questions and levels of difficulty), so wholesome knowledge(with good revision) is required.
    After analysing multiple mock series, i opted for forumias but after this year paper, it too was nowhere close to actual paper- so best thing than mocks is solve UPSC 7-8 years question papers and try crossing 55% barrier.
    Knowledge level was not less as so for many aspirants, but with that knowledge skill to correctly guess what's not in textbooks is required- where mocks help to an extent.
    Remaining cool headed for last 10 days-which i never used to as i increased pace in last days(this part helped me most)
    I analysed my shortcomings after solving PYQ in my room conditions and finding what's going wrong in exam hall.
    So have to find your shortcomings(can be most difficult as they may be minor), and work on that- may be revision, skill to guess etc

• Forum SFG was of great help in revision, knowing competition levels and being competitive

• @Freakhoto bhai this was my fourth attempt and I cleared prelims. First three attempt could not clear prelims. Analyse what went wrong. You will get through, bas lage raho.

• @madeye Honestly i think i have no road ahead...I am just clueless about moving ahead.

• @Freakhoto Yes, but we have to keep moving. Destination is not far. Invest your time in preparing optional and other GS papers. Prelims could be tackled in last 3 months(if it is denstined to be in)

• @songitasanjay166 My accuracy is bad as well. I try to attempt 90+ always. This time attempted 94, cleared by luck. Made mistakes in easy questions, but got some tough ones correct.

• @vvvikas0078212 Well, "Anta bhala to Sab bhala(All is well, if end is well)"

• @Master yes.antt hi hai. This is 6th attempt.

• @vvvikas0078212 Well, wish you all the luck!

• this was my fourth attempt.i gave it only because my attempts were going to be wasted due to age factor as i have only one more attempt left.so i thought what's the harm in giving this year. had about 25 days of preparation after more than 2 years break from civils preparation. so was not well prepared at all.. my lack of knowledge did hurt me in the exam as i got few relatively easy ques wrong relating to 2017 and 2018 current afffairs.
    However what hurt me most was time mismanagement. In all my previous three attempts in 2014,15 and 16, i never felt the time constraint in pre in gs 1. I always finished first round of attempting ques in around 80 mins with 40 mins for second round and making some intelligent guesses. Howvever this time my first round was completed when only 10 mins were remaining and i could not get back to many ques..i attempted only 75 ques as a result where normally i would have attempted 90.

• @vvvikas0078212 Rise like a phoenix from the ashes. All the best, mate!