Why do people with IFS as first preference in initial attempts prefer IAS in later attempts?

Topic created ยท 9 Posts ยท 1556 Views
  • Recently I came across a comment by @Neyawn about meeting a brilliant guy who resigned from Indian Foreign Service (IFS) to write the exam again.

I have observed a few ForumIAS members had IFS as first preference in their first few attempts and they preferred Indian Administrative Service (IAS) in subsequent attempts.

1. Is the decision solely based on personal grounds or is there some caveat about these services that one gets to know only after a few attempts (or after joining some service)?

2. Does IAS provides better opportunities to serve than IFS when one enters the service after a certain age?

PS -
    Link to the comment - http://quest.forumias.com/post/589

• Personal preferences are a big reason for sure.

IFS entails living away from India for certain spans of one's career. Often these can be in hostile or uncomfortable locations. It becomes difficult to see ones parents, spouse and children, especially for women unless there are other arrangements. There is a great deal of pride in representing India.

However, diplomacy tends to move in a slower, consensus oriented fashion where immediate impact of initiatives are not visible. Building relations takes time. So for people who seek more discretion and prefer living in their nation, this can be problematic.

Immediate recognition and media glare is missing in this work profile unless one is in a sensitive posting. Of course all this changes greatly when one reaches Ambassador level which is the first high point. This happens around 16-20 years later.

For people who like the idea of travelling/settling in different parts of the world, enjoy international relations and other cultures, this is a source of excitement. India is becoming more of a global power than ever. So there is ample work and much ground to be covered.

On top of that, one can opt for domestic work in the MEA after a couple of years or work with respective states. There are numerous opportunities in multilateral institutions on deputation basis. If one enjoys interacting with people, negotiations and new cultures, this is an exciting field. Foreign allowance is also a case in point, though it depends on the country one is posted in. Nonetheless, it's not the driving force of joining a service. It is the need to serve India's interests.

Each service has its pros and cons without a doubt.

It would be great if someone spoke more of IAS.

• There are two things here. Imagine yourself passing out of 12th Class and planning and join an Engineering College. You are really interested in Electronics & Communication . but everyone is lining for Computer Science because of placements. People tell you you have a good rank why not take up CS? Then someone tells you that CS has best placements, Facebook, Microsoft and Google hire CS engineers only.

But you have never used a computer before. You have sen a TV, and you thought electronics engineering was what you were meant for.

Then, when you take up E&C, at the end of four years, you cannot repair a TV even, and PlaceCom tells you need to apply for Software companies as there are no EC companies.

You wonder why you chose EC in the first place. To make matters worse, when you appear for UPSC Interview, they ask you questions from electrical - questions on DC motor, power transmission, transformer and all that. You want to tell them that you are from EC and not from Electrical , but noone listens to you.

You wonder why you did not choose conventional wisdom.

Same happens when you generally chose other services.

( Unless you are exceptionally passionate about it )

• @Neyawn hahaha.. naashtey m kya khaate ho jo itna author-itarian writing style hota h aapka tau ! Apt and correct analysis ๐Ÿ˜‰

PS- 1. I am victim if this ECE Irony you told. 2. But I do believe CS Engg walo ne kya GHANTA ukhaad liya. ๐Ÿ”จ

• @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh sir, request you please check your PM.

• @Yo_Yo_Choti_Singh said in Why do people with IFS as first preference in initial attempts prefer IAS in later attempts?:

@Neyawn hahaha.. naashtey m kya khaate ho jo itna author-itarian writing style hota h aapka tau ! Apt and correct analysis ๐Ÿ˜‰

PS- 1. I am victim if this ECE Irony you told. 2. But I do believe CS Engg walo ne kya GHANTA ukhaad liya. ๐Ÿ”จ

Then in my opinion @Neyawn should explain why people are unhappy after getting IAS. Replace the words CSE by IAS ๐Ÿ‘…

• @iridescent there could be several possible reasons for this. Realisation that he/she is not meant for it could be one. There is another possibility...deep down a lot of people (even the brilliant ones) have feudalist mindset and there is a sense of power which they expect from these services. Many people chose IAS/IPS over IFS due to this as well. To be positive, the person could just be willing to serve at the grassroot now and don't see himself/herself making any meaningful contribution to society through IFS.

• @iridescent is he is the one who did not join IFS and continued in IRS OR someone else who resigned from IFS after joining. Ham bhi janana chahte hai aise maharathi ko jisne resign hi kar diya aur fir se exam de rha

• @Madguy You have put a valid point. We may not know the complete story. Being already in a service and then not opting to join IFS is, I assume, a safe bet. A lot depends on candidate's background as well.

As I said, I read the example in a comment by @Neyawn so he may know better about this specific case.