Prelims Preparatory Classes 2020 | 12th Dec | 8:30AM
ForumIAS Academy commences with Prelims Preparatory Classes 2020 from 12th December at 8:30AM. Attend the first two classes free on 12th and 13th December at 8:30AM. Click here to know more and register

Advantages of taking Anthropology optional over Engineering optional?

Topic created ยท 20 Posts ยท 656 Views
  • I am a Electrical Engineer.Should I go for anthro(right now liking Ember & Ember) or stick to my engineering optional?How should I approach anthro?need honest guidance.

• no one knows whats the right path, socio will be better for gs preparation and psir too,.anthro is good but constant 3 year good performances has led to increased chances of it being downscaled in years to come as people in anthro have increased to the level of geography and socio it may be brought to normal in span of next 2 3 years

• if impressively good or like subject of anthro incredibly take it at any cost as then even future uncertainities wont matter

• @LeoMessi Number to bahut mil rahe hain anthro main.I went after rading only 3 books of braintree and ended up scoring 250.
    So yes its scoring compared to other subjects,course is less but does;nt help much in other subjects.
    The questions of downscaling in coming years would not be there if u r topper.Toppers in all subjects score similar marks irrespective of the uncertainities,downscaling or whatever ghapla

• @bevancom what do uyou mean by downscaling?

• @LeoMessi Matlab agar bahut acche marks aate hain lagatar kai years tak aur us subject ko bahut log lene lagte hain to usme kam marks die jaane lagte hain ya paper tough banaya jaate hai.
    Happened with geo in 2015 and pubad in 2013,14 wtc.

• @bevancom how was ur anthro this time

• @sat_009 Changed optional

• @bevancom okay all the best bhai

• However competent you are, chances are , that you will appear for the exam multiple times in future. That is just statistically the most probable thing that will happen. And from that perspective, never ever leave a science optional. The correaltion between the amount of efforts and practice you put and marks you get in engineering optionals is predictable. Anthro, though not a typical humanities subject, is not sheilded from vagaries of erratic marking and unpredictability.

My sincere advice would be to stick with engineering optional. Go for ''assured success'' not ''quick success''.

• i totally second with @Champak on this. i took anthro over maths in 2017, just because of perceived notion that it is short and desperation to clear in first attempt. ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ (back then i was one of those kids who believed upsc can be cleared with 8 months prep)
    i never loved the subject though i scored average in subsequent attempts.
    But i always feel that science optionals once completed , will give rich rewards and there is certainity. After every mains , my friends with Engg optionals can predict how their exam went and results were mostly on expected lines. i suffer from this uncertainity all the time. Had i knew , that its a lengthy process, i would have taken maths with out doubt. But we all make mistakes๐Ÿ˜‚

All i am saying is consider, that you might have to study the optional for the time more than you expect and take a decision

• @Valar_morghulis Engineering optional is good only if you have more than 1 year...This year EE question is too much lengthy..Maths/Physics better...

• @Valar_morghulis hahaha. Same bro. I thought that it can be completed after Prelims. Scored 184 (paper1+2) in 2017

• @LeoMessi take anthropology only if you have high capacity to mug up facts. Since most of the questions are repeated (with changed sentences but same answer content), preparing all the answers beforehand will give some advantage. After prelims one has to devote considerable time in mugging those answers. Selected candidates who change optional to anthropology have mostly well prepared GS. So they are able to give maximum focus on anthropology. So please don't get attracted by small syllabus. cramming part makes it bit difficult.

• @zombieland yaar mugging up kase hoti hai ??

wt i personally felt if u understand every single word in defination u can remember easily

may be i am wrong

• @Raillife okay.. go and study contribution of canada, australia, france, soviet union, usa, britain, germany. u will easily understand their contribution word by word. Now someone will ask you after four days to write it. if you have not mugged up you are most likely to forget many points.

This is called mugging. Even after understanding you will have to read it multiple times

• @Valar_morghulis said in Advantages of taking Anthropology optional over Engineering optional?:

i totally second with @Champak on this. i took anthro over maths in 2017, just because of perceived notion that it is short and desperation to clear in first attempt. ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ (back then i was one of those kids who believed upsc can be cleared with 8 months prep)
    i never loved the subject though i scored average in subsequent attempts.
    But i always feel that science optionals once completed , will give rich rewards and there is certainity. After every mains , my friends with Engg optionals can predict how their exam went and results were mostly on expected lines. i suffer from this uncertainity all the time. Had i knew , that its a lengthy process, i would have taken maths with out doubt. But we all make mistakes๐Ÿ˜‚

All i am saying is consider, that you might have to study the optional for the time more than you expect and take a decision

exactly what I think. if I also had even a little inkling about the uncertainty of the process I would have opted for the same ๐Ÿ˜

• @zombieland yaar vohi thoda puch rha tha,aap toh gussa ho gaye ๐Ÿ˜•

Multiple reading se mugging ho jayega na

• @Raillife gussa nhi hoon hai bhai. Mugging ka mtlb hi h multiple reading.

Kahi kahi par anthropology boring ho jata hai jaise author aur uske book ka naam yaad krna like Pursuit of Lakhshami by Roudolf and Roudolf, comparison charts in Physial Anthro. aise jagaho par samajhne k liye kuch jyada rehta nhi hai. Balki aapko ratta maarn padta h.

• @zombieland han bhai yeh toh hai.... kahin kahin nhi ho pata kuch bhi yaad